New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

USB Hard Drive + Logic

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rot89

rot89 is on a distinguished road

I want to buy an external hard drive, install Logic on it, and use it to save all of my music from Logic on it as well. Is this possible or do I have to install Logic on the internal hard drive?
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rot89 View Post
I want to buy an external hard drive, install Logic on it, and use it to save all of my music from Logic on it as well. Is this possible or do I have to install Logic on the internal hard drive?
Logic Studio 8 has about 50GBs worth of data to install. You can install the vast majority of this on an external drive during the installation process, although some core components really should be installed on the local dive (about 4GBs worth).

I would very strongly recommend you use a Firewire external drive, because it will perform far better than a USB 2.0 drive.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
rot89

What exactly needs to be installed on the local hard drive?
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of

Quote:
What exactly needs to be installed on the local hard drive?
The application, data for the core synths effects etc, some samples (such as the ultra-beat and the EX 24). The Jam Packs and other samples can be installed on the external drive.

- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
rot89

Sure that's only 4gb?
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Quote:
Sure that's only 4gb?
My Logic folder is 3.05 GBs (including some saves) - the actual Logic App is 345MBs and there are some smaller apps like Logic Node, Mainstage, waveburner and others that add up to a couple of hundred MBs.

- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
rot89

Well I'm convinced. Thanks for the insight.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sharing an external hdd w/ pc... | HP Color Laserjet CM 1312 MFP / Won't Scan! »