New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Can not delete files from External Hard Drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macnewbie1978

macnewbie1978 is on a distinguished road

A few months ago my computer blew up on me, so I converted from windows to Mac. I had the old hard drive removed from my old computer and created an external hard drive out of it. Once my Mac had recognized it I tried to delete a few files which I no longer use, however some folders have a locked padlock in the lower left corner and I get a message: error code -61.

I am trying to keep all my photos, media files and documents but would like to get rid of program files etc which relate to my old computer. Can anyone help me????

QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

the drive is likely formatted NTFS.

your ideal move is to copy all of the items you want to save from this drive to either your mac, or another external. then reformat the old external as either HFS+ or FAT32 (if you'll be sharing the drive with a windows machine and have no files over 4 GB to store). Then move your data back to the old external.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
macnewbie1978

macnewbie1978 is on a distinguished road

I am a bit of a computer mong... How do I reformat my external hard drive? I have copied all my old stuff to my Mac.

Kind regards,

QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

with the drive connected, go to applications folder > utilities > disk utility

you will see your mac's HD and the external on the left hand side. Select the left most selection for the external (this will be the drive itself, not a partition.
select the partition option, choose your number of partitions, size of partitions and file system.
Keep in mind that if you frequently use this drive with a mac and a windows pc, FAT32 may be your best option for file system unless you plan on storing HUGE files.
There are ways around this, but that requires installing apps on the pc or the mac depending on which other file system you go with (HFS+ or NTFS, the second won't be an option on your mac).

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
dabears34

dabears34 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4

Hey just wanted to thank you Eric for the great post. I just found it using the search function and it worked like a charm.
QUOTE Thanks
horseman54

horseman54 is on a distinguished road

Hitting the "command" and "I" keys will bring up the information about the folder and simply uncheck the "Lock" box and you're good to go.
QUOTE Thanks
kushbaghel

kushbaghel is on a distinguished road

i am a new user of mac book pro. a few days back i was a able to delete contents from my external hard disk & copy content in external HD with out any problem but now i am unable to delete contents form the same external hard disk as well as copy file in external hard disk. after checking i found my external hard disk is of ntfs format. Is there any other way to delete contents form the external hard disk & copy content in external HD.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Mac OS X can read NTFS drives but not write to one without third party software. You're options are either use something like PARAGON Software Group - NTFS for Mac, communication channel between Mac OS X and Windows. The other option is to use Disk Utility to format the drive to HFS+ extended journaled. If you go this route be sure to copy any important data from the drive first. Reformatting removes anything that is already on the drive.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« loading 5Gb on 16Gb flash drive | MAC driver for LG super multi driver »