New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

problem with external HD between OS's

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Yorange

Yorange is on a distinguished road

I am having a small problem with my Lacie external hard drive, the problem being that i can use it with my Macbook but it will not work with a windows OS, even though the windows machine detects the hardware it does not appear as a useable disk.

Could this be a problem with the format of the HD, which is currentle set to Mac OS extended (case sensitive, journaled)? i know there is an option to format the disk to just Mac OS extended, but i cannot try this as my macbook hd is full and i have no other means of storing the info that is on the external.

Hopefully one of you guys can help, and if it a case of re-formatting i can then try to borrow an external from somebody.

Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Its a format problem

HFS+, the mac format is not recorgnised by windows without extra software

FAT 32 (called DOS Format if you format using Disk Utility) will work with both but I think you cannot have any single file over 4 gig on that format

The only other format that the two can share is NTFS, but that would require you to format the disk on a windows PC and then add NTFS support for the mac

Quote:
Go to the macfuse site and download the package for your os

MacFUSE-Core-10.4-1.5.0.dmg for tiger
MacFUSE-Core-10.5-1.5.1.dmg for leopard

http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/

additionally download the NTFS support from here

http://www.ntfs-3g.org/

this will allow write access to a NTFS drive
So if you don't have files over 4 gig, go for FAT 32, if you have large files then NTFS will be your best bet
QUOTE Thanks
bubba

bubba has a spectacular aura about

Windows cannot even read the MacOS file system. You have two options:
1) Format the drive FAT32 so that both OS's can access it
2) Format the drive in NTFS in Windows and get/buy an NTFS driver for MacOS so Mac can access the drive.

<louishen beat me to it>
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

That's cool bubba, good advice

BTW, MacFuse is open source so you get NTFS support for free
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

To the OP:

One solution everyone forgot to mention....

You can read and write to HFS+ from Windows using MacDrive 7.0. Go here for information and pricing:

http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/

This may be easier since it does not require re-formatting the external LaCie HD to FAT-32 or NTFS. Re-formatting the drive will destroy all the data on it which means you would have to backup everything before.

Give MacDrive a try.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Yorange

Yorange is on a distinguished road

Cheers guys looks like i will be going for the FAT32 route as soon as i can find somebody with enough free time and space on their mac for me to back up my files to so i can format the external.

Cheers once again you guys have helped me solve a problem that has been driving me crazy for like 2 weeks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't get WD external to work - please help | Apple tv on regural TV? any movie format? »