New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

MacBook Pro to Vizio 42" LCD (RGB input) via DVI-VGA results in "No Signal"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zimbu1234

zimbu1234 is on a distinguished road

All the info is in the subject. When I plug it in, the MBP screen flashes solid blue and then to regular mode. In the past it does this and then shows up on screen but it hasn't been doing that for the past week. I haven't swapped out my VGA or DVI to VGA cables. Any ideas from anyone with the same TV type and connections know how to fix this?

I am running the current Leopard version.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Make sure you plug the DVI-VGA adapter in while the VGA cable is connected to it. I've run into the same thing when connecting just the DVI adapter and then subsequently connecting the VGA cable to it.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
zimbu1234

I haven't separated them since it worked last time, or at least not that I can remember. Maybe I should unplug it all and then reconnect everything in this sequence:

1. VGA to DVI-VGA connector
2. VGA into my RGB input on the TV
3. DVI cable into DVI port on MBP

Does it matter when I plug teh attached audio cable?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbu1234 View Post
I haven't separated them since it worked last time, or at least not that I can remember. Maybe I should unplug it all and then reconnect everything in this sequence:

1. VGA to DVI-VGA connector
2. VGA into my RGB input on the TV
3. DVI cable into DVI port on MBP

Does it matter when I plug teh attached audio cable?
OK, sounds like you're using an RGB connector on your TV and not a VGA. I have no experience with doing this, so I can't accurately guide you here.

On my TV, there is a VGA connector. What I do is leave the VGA cable attached to the TV all the time. Then I connect the VGA to the VGA to DVI adapter, then plug the whole thing, already connected, into my MacBook Pro's DVI port. The MacBook pro discovers it automatically and outputs the display. I have had instances where it did not, for whatever reason, but I can usually force it through System Preferences => Displays.

The audio cable should not make a difference either way.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

A close friend of mine has a Vizio 42" LCD. It does have a VGA Input. That is how he hooks up his computer to the Vizio and it's always worked great.
QUOTE Thanks
zimbu1234

Maybe I am phrasing it wrong. It is RGB (a PC input). I have attached photos. This is how I have always connected it to my MBP. Also, I went to System Properties and it sees the TV as a second display but it won't send the signal. I have clicked on every setting and tab in there!!

Its a VW42L - 42" Class LCD Vizio 1080p HDTV
http://www.vizio.com/productDetails....=1664&pid=1504

Can anyone please help me? I rip DVDs to my mac and then watch them this way. I am desperate!!
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 2.png (918.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: png Picture 3.png (917.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: png picture 5.png (56.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: png picture 4.png (53.4 KB, 14 views)
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

That is the right jack on the Vizio. Was just being sure. I wonder if maybe your VGA to DVI adapter is messed up?
QUOTE Thanks
zimbu1234

Lucky for me, I found the same VGA to DVI adaptor at work in an empty conference room which is odd since its completely a PC environment. No guarantees that it works but I am going to bring it home and try it. I also have a new VGA cable to use as well.

I will report back. Thanks for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
zimbu1234

For anyone that cares, I changed my VGA cable and that seemed to resolve this issue. Let's see if it happens again with a new cable. If it does it would probably mean that the TV or MBP are damaging these cables somehow.
QUOTE Thanks
jwright777

jwright777 is on a distinguished road

I'm doing the same (DVI to VGA from macbook pro) and the TV monitor shows my background wallpaper but not anything else! So the computer output is getting through but not the right output. Any ideas? Is this a mac "user" issue?
QUOTE Thanks
uscrebel

uscrebel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwright777 View Post
I'm doing the same (DVI to VGA from macbook pro) and the TV monitor shows my background wallpaper but not anything else! So the computer output is getting through but not the right output. Any ideas? Is this a mac "user" issue?
I imagine that you have the displays set up to extend the desktop rather than "mirror." Check the mirror box in your display preferences.
QUOTE Thanks
Curtis8485119

Curtis8485119 is on a distinguished road

I'm having a VERY similar problem... so did replacing the cable do the trick permanently?
QUOTE Thanks
dfkramer

dfkramer is on a distinguished road

You have a div out on your Mac, why not just use the HDMI ports? I am assuming you have HDMI ports, but if you do then just use an adapter.

Cables Unlimited - Video adapter - Male 19 pin HDMI Type A to FeM DVI
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Canon MX860 Wireless Connection | Max VGA resolution »