GenuineDraft8
    Question Wireless Question
    Hi, I have no idea what I'm doing. We have a DSL, connected to a linksys wireless router. The DSL is shared to a desktop pc, hardwired. There's also a wireless connection to a laptop pc. Now I'm trying to figure out how to connect my Mac desktop. Is my only choice the Airport? I couldn't find any information on this on the linksys website, and it seems as if their products are not compatible with Macs. Uh... someone break this down for me a lil. Please?
    Blake

Specs:
    20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
    you can use an airport card on the mac....no need for an airport base station. i use my powerbook with my linksys router no problem. you cant use WEP but other then that everything is functional

Specs:
    14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
    Quote Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
    you can use an airport card on the mac....no need for an airport base station. i use my powerbook with my linksys router no problem.
    You sure can. When I bought my iBook and Airport card, I was nervous that I'd have trouble setting it up to work with my Linksys router. I was amazed and impressed when turned on the iBook and the "Airport setup helper" (I forgot what it was actually called) popped-up and asked me if I wanted to join the Linksys network it detected. I clicked yes, and a few seconds later I was good to go. It was even easier than when I setup my actual Linksys wireless card on my PC laptop. Just one of the many reasons I love my Mac.

GenuineDraft8
    Quote Originally Posted by Padawan
    You sure can. When I bought my iBook and Airport card, I was nervous that I'd have trouble setting it up to work with my Linksys router. I was amazed and impressed when turned on the iBook and the "Airport setup helper" (I forgot what it was actually called) popped-up and asked me if I wanted to join the Linksys network it detected. I clicked yes, and a few seconds later I was good to go. It was even easier than when I setup my actual Linksys wireless card on my PC laptop. Just one of the many reasons I love my Mac.
    thanks ppl, so i guess the airport card is my only option? It's kinda pricey, at almost a bill...

Specs:
    14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
    Quote Originally Posted by GenuineDraft8
    thanks ppl, so i guess the airport card is my only option? It's kinda pricey, at almost a bill...
    Airport is, as far as I know, your only wireless option. As for the price of the card, you can find the Airport card on Ebay with the "Buy It Now" price of $65.00, and some auctions might even end slightly lower than that too.

Thread Information