New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Wireless Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GenuineDraft8

Hi, I have no idea what I'm doing. We have a DSL, connected to a linksys wireless router. The DSL is shared to a desktop pc, hardwired. There's also a wireless connection to a laptop pc. Now I'm trying to figure out how to connect my Mac desktop. Is my only choice the Airport? I couldn't find any information on this on the linksys website, and it seems as if their products are not compatible with Macs. Uh... someone break this down for me a lil. Please?
Blake
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

you can use an airport card on the mac....no need for an airport base station. i use my powerbook with my linksys router no problem. you cant use WEP but other then that everything is functional
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
you can use an airport card on the mac....no need for an airport base station. i use my powerbook with my linksys router no problem.
You sure can. When I bought my iBook and Airport card, I was nervous that I'd have trouble setting it up to work with my Linksys router. I was amazed and impressed when turned on the iBook and the "Airport setup helper" (I forgot what it was actually called) popped-up and asked me if I wanted to join the Linksys network it detected. I clicked yes, and a few seconds later I was good to go. It was even easier than when I setup my actual Linksys wireless card on my PC laptop. Just one of the many reasons I love my Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
GenuineDraft8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan
You sure can. When I bought my iBook and Airport card, I was nervous that I'd have trouble setting it up to work with my Linksys router. I was amazed and impressed when turned on the iBook and the "Airport setup helper" (I forgot what it was actually called) popped-up and asked me if I wanted to join the Linksys network it detected. I clicked yes, and a few seconds later I was good to go. It was even easier than when I setup my actual Linksys wireless card on my PC laptop. Just one of the many reasons I love my Mac.
thanks ppl, so i guess the airport card is my only option? It's kinda pricey, at almost a bill...
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineDraft8
thanks ppl, so i guess the airport card is my only option? It's kinda pricey, at almost a bill...
Airport is, as far as I know, your only wireless option. As for the price of the card, you can find the Airport card on Ebay with the "Buy It Now" price of $65.00, and some auctions might even end slightly lower than that too.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hard drive crash | Xserve 'puts Linux to shame' »