New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Partitioning external Western Digital HD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gugapal

gugapal is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 1GB 250GB Superdrive LCD 20" - MB323 - Apple

Hello experts,

I bought a Western Digital external HD, 750 Gb, that originally came formatted FAT32 with one sole partition. With the drive connected to the iMac through the FireWire 400 door and following instructions of both Western Digital and DiskUtility I tried to create 3 partitions with 500 GB, 150 GB and the balance of 48.6 GB. After searching the forum I chose scheme GUID for the partitions and maintained FAT32 for the files. Once I agreed with the software to erase all HD and clicking OK, Disk Utility says I am not allowed to do such partitions.

Questions:

a) Did I do something wrong?
b) If I chose APM scheme for the partitions and HFS+ system for files, would I be able to transfer (copy and paste) FAT32 files from other HDs?

Thanks

PMV
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

When partitioning the external HD, do not specify GUID. Just partition and format as MSDOS. That will yield three partitions formatted to FAT-32.

If you want to use one of those partitions (500 Gb) for backing up your Mac, it should be formatted to HFS+.

Any partition formatted to FAT-32 will be common to both OS X and Windows. In other words, you can transfer files and folders between both operating systems and\or machines. But keep in mind - FAT-32 file limitation is ~4 Gb so if you have large files (video, movies) they can not be stored on the drive.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What is the best stand alone scanner to buy? | running macbook to LCD LG HDTV ... DVI or VGA !? »