New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Web sharing a folder in osx

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

officehelper

in our office we have one file that needs to be shared on the network through web sharing. we don't want shared document access, just the availability to share it through the network

its a file that is related to filemaker

our IT guy who is not local said that it has to remain on our old system computer os9 because osx won't share it properly.

I would really like to get rid of the old computer and free up more space. is there anyway at all that we can web share this folder on osx?
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

OS X has a Personal Web Sharing feature in the Sharing pane of System Preferences. If you turn it on, anything in the Sites folder (Your HD:Users:USERNAME:Sites) is shared.

Without knowing exactly what it is you are sharing, who will be using it, and how, I can't say if this will work for you. You can try it and see, if you like.

You mentioned that it was a FileMaker-related file. Some versions of FileMaker (Especially the Server versions) have built-in web sharing features, which might help you.
QUOTE Thanks
officehelper

we use FM server 5.5 and Fm version 6. we are sharing a file of 10k resumes that are attached toall our files in FM. I'll try it and see if it works

but In FM I'll need to change the location of the resumes right? will it still work if I give it my IP address?
QUOTE Thanks
officehelper

tried putting the file into the sites folder and it didn't work
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Sorry, but I don't really know what to tell you. Maybe a true FileMaker guru could help, but sadly, I'm not one. Good luck, though.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lacie External HDD no longer mounts | Apple and DVD+R/RW, no acknowledgement? »