New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Seagate not mounting AT ALL!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

drummerman345

drummerman345 is on a distinguished road

I just bought a Seagate FreeAgent 750 GB external hard drive and did everything exactly as the instructions said and it doesnt mount at all...I restarted my computer, used a different USB port on my computer, plugged and unplugged the AC Adapter...
Any ideas!?!?!?
QUOTE Thanks
MacBookMe!

MacBookMe! is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook

Can you hear the drive spinning inside?

White MacBook - Early-2008 - Base Model
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Can you see it in Disk Utility? Be aware that you'll need to create a partition on it before you can see it mounted to your desktop.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
drummerman345

Ok so for some reason it started working by itself...
I did partition it so that it is a 'Backup' and a 'Media' - the former is 222 GB and I've used Time Machine to back up my hard drive...
I just have a few questions:
1. Will Time Machine overwrite watever is backed up, or back it up separately?
2. Will Time Machine only re-back up what is changed or everything?
3. For my media section I backed up my Pictures, Movies, and Music folders (all my Pictures, Movies, and Music are in there) but I basically wanna free up my hard drive and I dont know any way to do it without creating a massive amount of duplicates when I back it up again (because I'll be adding more music to iTunes)...any ideas?

I hope I was clear enough...Thanks for the help!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerman345 View Post
Ok so for some reason it started working by itself...
I did partition it so that it is a 'Backup' and a 'Media' - the former is 222 GB and I've used Time Machine to back up my hard drive...
I just have a few questions:
1. Will Time Machine overwrite watever is backed up, or back it up separately?
Time Machine is self-maintaining. You would never need to interface directly with the drive's file system. All interaction with the user is done through the Time Machine application.

Quote:
2. Will Time Machine only re-back up what is changed or everything?
Initially, Time Machine does a full backup. Then, it will make incremental backups as files are added or changed since the last full backup.

Quote:
3. For my media section I backed up my Pictures, Movies, and Music folders (all my Pictures, Movies, and Music are in there) but I basically wanna free up my hard drive and I dont know any way to do it without creating a massive amount of duplicates when I back it up again (because I'll be adding more music to iTunes)...any ideas?

I hope I was clear enough...Thanks for the help!
I'm a little lost of this point, but it seems you want to do a bit of manual backup in addition to the automated solution that Time Machine provides. If so, I would partition that external HDD into two parts - one should be for Time Machine backups, the other should be for use as supplemental storage.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
drummerman345

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
I'm a little lost of this point, but it seems you want to do a bit of manual backup in addition to the automated solution that Time Machine provides. If so, I would partition that external HDD into two parts - one should be for Time Machine backups, the other should be for use as supplemental storage.
Thanks, that answered most of my questions.
And yes you are correct, that is what I want to do and I have already done that. But my main reason for this partition was so that I could free up some space on my internal hard drive, so how would I be able to keep something like my Music folder organized in such a way that I can store ALL of my music, while I add and delete from my internal hard drive...Ex: A band such as Miles Davis - I may only listen to a few of his albums, but I have all of them and will keep them all on my external, but only want a few from my internal - so obviously I'll delete them from my Music folder on my computer. BUT, if I were to back the folder itself to my external HDD then I would only have the albums which are on my computer since it would be over-written...I hope that makes for a clearer question, basically: how would I do it so that I can keep all my music organized, without duplicates, on my external HDD, while keeping some select music on my laptop...
QUOTE Thanks
drummerman345

b-b-b-bump
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What size allen wrench? | Macbook to TV »