New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Seagate Freeagent 500gb media skipping

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jcookee

jcookee is on a distinguished road

hello

i have recently purchased a 500 gig freeagent external drive to use with my mac mini, pretty much the sole purpose of me buying the drive was was storing and playing my extensive itunes library.

The drive stores the files fine but play back is dodgy as heck. at seemingly random intervals, anything from 5 minutes to 30 seconds, music will just cut out. I know for a fact the files aren't corrupted. I'v read simularish things on other forums like sleep problems ect. and have turned off the hard drive sleep mode option in system prefs.

has anyone got any idea as to a fix?
cheers
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

play the same track again, does it skip forward at the same time, and were the tracks downloaded from the itunes store or ripped into Itunes from CD
QUOTE Thanks
jcookee

all either ripped off cd's or downloaded from other internet sources like napster and a few old russian sites. the pauses are random and it's almost like the drive has to power back up and start spinning again before play continues.
QUOTE Thanks
jcookee

any ideas anyone??
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Have you tried playing music from a more legitimate venue such as a store bought cd or itunes? And does that skip? Why I'm asking as some people I know have issues with downloaded music from some places, won't play properly for them. But music from other places seem to work.

Also 2 more things:

Have you done a scan on the hard drive to see if there is a problem with it somewhere? With Disk Utility or Onyx or something similar.

Also have you tried copying a huge file to it? You can delete it straight after. But if that wasn't smooth then that might also indicate an issue.
QUOTE Thanks
jcookee

yes a lot of the music is legit, i know for a fact the music files are not corrupt because i can transfer them to an ipod and they're fine
QUOTE Thanks
jcookee

anyone?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wireless Display Desktop on tv? | Hard Drive help please... »