New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

*RATE* your External HD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

malbajones

malbajones is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

We already have a thread recommending HDs, but some important info is missing which will really help people decide what to buy.

How about:

- Name and type of HD
- The amount of daily/weekly usage
- Approx. price at time of purchase, and where you bought it
- Computer set-up

**And most importantly**

- When did you buy it?
- How long has your drive lasted?

Finally, give it a rating out of 10!

Please feel free to add any other key points for other people to consider when buying or upgrading their current HD.

----------

My current HD:

Maxtor 80GB OneTouch IV Mini 2.5" 5400rpm 8MB Cache External Hard Disk Drive 2 year manufacturer's warranty

One weekly backup

60 PC World

Using it on a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac 2GB

Bought November 2007

Still working well after 8 months

(Would have given it more points but it was expensive for the size, however it is portable and so requiries no external power supply other than the USB to computer lead)
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

WD 200GB USB 2.0 and Firewire 400. 2.5+ years old. Never turned off. Never an issue. Fast (with Firewire 400) and very reliable. $180 at the time.

Seagate 200GB Also USB 2.0 and Firewire 400. Never an issue. Bought it at least 2 years ago now. Used as a Time Machine backup drive for Intel Mac Mini and also storage of my Videos I am editing. $200 at the time I purchased it.

Simpletech 120GB 2.5" USB 2.0 External for iBook. 1 year old now. Time Machine Backups for iBook and storage of music and videos I am editing. So far 100% reliable. $89.00 on sale.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lacie External HD will not mount | RAID issue - failing after powering off »