New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Which external Harddrive should I get?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DDar

DDar is on a distinguished road

Okay, well I realised a little while ago that I was going to be in great need of an external HDD. Anyways, I originally was going to get a MyBook Studio edition because of it's great price for 500GBs. But after doing some research and finding out that many of them die out after a year (a.k.a right after the warranty ends)of use. So instead I got a 320GB LaCie d2 quadra at the Mac store for about $172. Anyways, long story short, I did some MORE research and apparently, according to amazon, I got the OLD model (new model: http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=11022 , The one I got: http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=10894 ).
So now I'm afraid to open it and test it out and I'm thinking about returning it for another HDD (Especially since my friend told me that the HDD I got was WAY too expensive and I got ripped off...). Can anyone recommend a certain external HDD? Or do you think I'm being stupid and should just keep this one?
I mainly want it for backing up files on my PS3, storage of random data and, most importantly, use with Time Machine. =)

Thankyou!

(Btw, the Mac I plan to use this on I will recieve in a few weeks. =) )
QUOTE Thanks
macgig

macgig will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" 2007 Aluminum iMac 2.0 Ghz | 4 gigs ram | 10.6.8

I just bought this one

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Weste...oductDetail.do

so far I like it. it's fast. works great. I did not care for the mac backup app that came with it, but Im using superduper which works great.
QUOTE Thanks
Clairejr

Clairejr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo, PPC G4

I have two Maxtor drives and a WD My Book and I definitely prefer the Maxtor drives because they are faster and quieter. The WD makes a constant humming sound, while the Maxtor drives are totally silent except when actually accessing data. The newer Maxtor is the One Touch 4 Plus - it has both FW and USB ports (I use it on FW 400). Seagate has taken over Maxtor, but they still sell Maxtor drives. I've read that the Seagate drives are also very good.

Claire

Claire Rottenberg
Homepage: Mac Tips and More
Follow me on Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
hockeyfan651439

hockeyfan651439 is on a distinguished road

I would use this one

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1185267958970

it runs on firewire 800 which is the fastest mac transfer rate at 800mbps, its a westerndigital made specifically for mac. it goes on sale at best buy for 180$ every other week or so (i work there haha)
would reccomend against the maxtors personally as there enclosures are a bit cheap and trashy looking and we get alot of the returned.

-Ryan
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

I came across this thread in a search of these forums and none of the links provided here work anymore. Could someone please provide an updated answer to this question? I need 1TB and as simple to operate as possible. Just something to use for reliable backup, preferably an auto-backup feature. I need a cheaper substitute for time capsule (doesn't have to be wireless).
Thanks in advance everyone!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
I came across this thread in a search of these forums and none of the links provided here work anymore. Could someone please provide an updated answer to this question? I need 1TB and as simple to operate as possible. Just something to use for reliable backup, preferably an auto-backup feature. I need a cheaper substitute for time capsule (doesn't have to be wireless).
Thanks in advance everyone!
That's some serious necro bumping. Anyways you can look through this list.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
hagios1972

hagios1972 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD

I have 1TB Seagate FreeAgent Xtreme and it is working well. It is connected via Firewire 400mbps.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

If you live in the US, I would get whichever one happens to be halfprice in that particular week's Sunday newspaper circulars. Their weekly sale circulars are all also available online on all the major store websites. Check out Office Depot, Office Max, Staples, Best Buy, etc.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook connection to sony projector-problem | Installing external monitor on MacBook, driver problem? »