New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

MacBook Pro - HDTV for macbook pro (720 or 1080p?)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

imme

imme is on a distinguished road

I have a macbook pro and Im thinking about buying a new HDTV for my room, but I play most of my media from my macbook pro.

Im just wondering, in terms of using my macbook pro with the TV, Does it make any difference if I go for a 720 or 1080P TV? If i go for a 1080p TV will I notice any difference to the picture that the Macbook pro produces on the TV?
QUOTE Thanks
proxy

proxy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb

if u get a dvi to hdmi cable as long as your tv will run 1080 then your macbook pro will push it fine as thats how i use mine

but you will need a 3.5 jac to 3.5jac for audio
QUOTE Thanks
ChrisR22

ChrisR22 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 13" 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2gb Ram Running Leapord OS

i have a 1080p in the living room. i dont use my macbook as a media driver, but i use a 1080p dvd player and an hd cable box. 1080p is much better than 1080i IMO.

and im sure its better than 720p, thought i've never seen a 720p

MacBook 1.80GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
iPod Touch 8GB
That's enough for me!
QUOTE Thanks
JHatz

JHatz is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisR22 View Post
i have a 1080p in the living room. i dont use my macbook as a media driver, but i use a 1080p dvd player and an hd cable box. 1080p is much better than 1080i IMO.

and im sure its better than 720p, thought i've never seen a 720p
1080i is practically the same as 720p. It's very hard to see any sort of difference. Now for the ops question, you won't see any difference between 720p vs 1080p unless you are downloading blu ray movies off the internet or you get an external blu ray player with a blu ray dvd and use a mini-dvi from the computer to HDMI to your television.

Now if you wont be downloading movies off the internet in blu ray or buying a external blu ray player than you wont see a difference in resolution BUT when you go from 720p tv's to 1080p tv's, you'll see that 90% of the time, your 1080p television will have a better contrast ratio. Therefore, yes you will see a difference in things like your black levels and natural color quality. Plus, if you want to "future proof" yourself, go 1080p. Blu ray players came out little over a year ago at $1000, now you can pick them up for $400, what do you think they'll be next year? They'll be affordable and more so will the blu ray dvds.

Cable will eventually be going 1080p within probably the next 3-4 years as well.

Go 1080p, don't be a chiseler.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Intall OSX 10.4 on my HD | Time Capsule »