New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Intall OSX 10.4 on my HD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

emadrid007

emadrid007 is on a distinguished road

Ive been trying to install OSX 10.4 on my WD hard drive for some time now. its a 160gb WD ide hard drive. I was wondering if anyone can explain how I can install the OS on my hard drive externally using this: POWMAX SATA/IDE TO USB 2.0 ADAPTER/CABLE KIT. When I try to install OSX 10.4 my mac recognizes the HD but it says it cannot install the OS on to the HD, it has a red caution sign on the bottm right corner of the HD Icon in the installation process. Does anyone know why? the HD is for my cube, I tried replacing the old HD for the new HD and when I press and hold down the C button after the intro "chime" it does not read the dvd and goes to a flashing folder mac/? icon but when I reinstall the old HD and press down the c button after the "chime" it reads the OS DVD and proceeds to the install process. Anyone know whats going on?
QUOTE Thanks
kahlil88

kahlil88 is a jewel in the roughkahlil88 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro A1151 2.16 GHz

If I'm understanding you correctly, changing hard drives causes the computer to not find the CD/DVD drive, yes? In this case, you should verify that the jumpers are correct (hard drive should probably be set to slave or cable select). I usually press the ALT/OPTION key, because sometimes the computer is very picky about me pressing C at the right time. Doing this will show you all available boot options.

There is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels.
Join the FSF as an Associate Member!

QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by emadrid007 View Post
Ive been trying to install OSX 10.4 on my WD hard drive for some time now. its a 160gb WD ide hard drive. I was wondering if anyone can explain how I can install the OS on my hard drive externally using this: POWMAX SATA/IDE TO USB 2.0 ADAPTER/CABLE KIT. When I try to install OSX 10.4 my mac recognizes the HD but it says it cannot install the OS on to the HD, it has a red caution sign on the bottm right corner of the HD Icon in the installation process. Does anyone know why? the HD is for my cube, I tried replacing the old HD for the new HD and when I press and hold down the C button after the intro "chime" it does not read the dvd and goes to a flashing folder mac/? icon but when I reinstall the old HD and press down the c button after the "chime" it reads the OS DVD and proceeds to the install process. Anyone know whats going on?
You've given good information except for two things:
1. What file format is on the new WD drive? For MacOS it needs to be HFS+.
2. What are you using as your OS source drive ie. is it another computer or is it an external optical drive?

I think you'll find that you can't install OS on an external HD via an adaptor cable, it has to be firewire I believe. But then you appeared to have covered that issue by putting the old HD back in - but back in to what?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« bootable external dvd drives | HDTV for macbook pro (720 or 1080p?) »