New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

DVD Burner wont burn. help!! Please

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

djchub91

djchub91 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac intel core duo 2 GHz 160GB HDD

ive got a 17" imac intel 2ghz and i just finished a video project and i came to burn the disc and it kept on coming up with an error saying "medium key error" this is with toast titanium 9. so then i tried to burn some files on to a dvd with finder and it said "laser error" are something so i don't no what's to do with it can anyone help me please thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I guess I need to ask.... Does your iMac have a Superdrive that can burn DVDs or is it a drive that can only burn CDs and read DVDs? Post back.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
djchub91

It's a super drive ive burnt dvd before using it. it burns cd no prob but dvd nope.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Have you changed the brand of dvd recently or are you continuing to use the dvds that used to burn successfully?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchub91 View Post
It's a super drive ive burnt dvd before using it. it burns cd no prob but dvd nope.
OK. First try cleaning the drive lens. Also do a test burn with a different brand of media if you can to see if that makes a difference.

The optical light and sensing circuitry to burn DVDs requires more power and is usually the first to go out on a combo Superdrive. Burning CDs uses a lot less power which means that the optical light has probably diminished. The drive more than likely needs to be replaced.

If the machine is not still under warranty you might consider replacing it yourself or it might be less expensive to purchase an external burner.

Check here for prices on a new drive:

www.ifixit.com

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
djchub91

Yeah ive change the dvd disc brand and it's the same so ill just see about getting an external dvd-rw drive and then ill save up to get a new super drive. Thanks for your support. By the way can you get a new drive for your mac to read blue- ray disc's? cheers.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchub91 View Post
ill just see about getting an external dvd-rw drive and then ill save up to get a new super drive.
You don't need to do both. Get yourself an external Pioneer dvd-writer that'll deal with +R, -R and Dual Layer. The 115D has good reviews.
http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/pion...-dvdcd-writer/ for specs.
Put it in a combo USB-Firewire 800 enclosure, and that'll see you right for a few years to come.

Pioneer also have Blu-ray drives: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...Blu-ray+Drives
QUOTE Thanks
djchub91

Cheers guy most help
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Parallel/Serial to USB Ports Adapters Question | USB stick »