New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Hooked up ACER 20" (broken imac monitor) now it spans and won't mirror

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

brobs907

brobs907 is on a distinguished road

as the title states..
i hooked up this monitor 20" 1650x102x something can't remember the exact #'s
i used the mini-dvi to dvi cord from apple.

anyways it now seems to use this monitor as an expansion of my original screen, and not what is dipslayed on the original screen...

which doesn't solve my problem AT ALL of the broken screen on the imac
so am i just screwed and i can never retrieve any info from this computer or use it again?? what a waste. i never should have purchased a computer with an integrated monitor
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

That's because you have the external monitor setup so that it extends the desktop of your iMac rather than mirror it.

Are you able to view anything at all on the screen of the iMac? If you can, go into display preferences and drag the external Acer on top of the iMac display so that it mirrors. Unfortunately you can not change that setting from the external display.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
brobs907

i can't see anything on the imac monitor at all.. so am i just screwed?>??
:banghead:
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Sure looks that way. The older models were able to switch displays with the press of an F key, now it's done from display preferences. But as I stated in the first reply, there's no way to do it from the external monitor.

Have you thought about replacing the broken monitor in your iMac? Click on this link and follow the links that come up.

http://www.google.com/search?q=iMac%...%20replacement

It appears it's not as expensive as I would have thought. Certainly less than replacing the screen on a Mac notebook.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
brobs907

.. that's still expensive at around 500$

if i buy a brand new macbook can i hook it up and pull everything from the hard drive?
QUOTE Thanks
brobs907

so i'm screwed then.... ?

wow, i'm loving my mac right now.
QUOTE Thanks
PerryLynch

PerryLynch has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro 4GB

Yes, you can easily transfer your data from one mac to another. Although, it might be more difficult if you can not access the system Preferences menu at all.

Do you have any friends with iMacs of the same basic specs as yours? If so, swap your drive into their machine, plug in the second monitor, enable display mirroring, and then reconnect your drive and monitor to your own system.

How old is your iMac? Is there any way that the internal monitor is still covered under warranty?

Perry M Lynch, CISSP CISA
Mac Newbie, Security not-so-newbie
QUOTE Thanks
brobs907

not sure.. I had applecare for 3 years. I bought this iMac when the new ones with the intel core duo had 1st come out. I believe that was over 3 years ago.. maybe I should call to make sure. Will I be able to transfer the data even though I can't login on my broken screened computer?

my computer here at work is basically the same as the one I have at home...
Also my parents have the same iMac as me too.
any details on how to swap the drives and do this?
QUOTE Thanks
brobs907

i would appreciate a little more help ... please?

?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« external drive problem PLEASE HELP | External Sound Card »