Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Jun 10, 2008
    Posts
    23
    problems connecting macbook to tv ...help?
    i have the mini dvi-hdmi adapters (all wires/connections look good, tv has hdmi in etc), and on the tv i can see the desktop but ONLY the desktop, not the mouse or 'task bar' only the image of 'outerspace'
    shows?

    i know the tv sees the macbook, but its only partially seeing it?


    also, i have recently installed a flight sim that runs in 'windows' only

    http://www.realflight.com/requirements/g4_system.html

    it seems to work normally on my pc partition, but the tv doesnt seem to see it at all

    and i REAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYY want this flight sim to work on my tv.

    and tips or help appreciated

  2. #2

    J_K's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 20, 2008
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    176
    Specs:
    Macbook 1.83Mhz, added superdrive and 320gb HD
    Is your tv running in extended or mirrored desktop mode?
    If it's extended then thats your problem.
    I run an extended desktop in the office on XP and any fullscreen progs just take over the main screen and not the extension.
    And are the dimensions of the TV the same as your monitor?
    First came a shuffle. Then an 8gb 3rd gen nano.
    Next a macbook.
    Then an Ipod Touch. And a Nikon D300. Not an Apple but gets used with the macbook

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Jun 10, 2008
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by J_K View Post
    Is your tv running in extended or mirrored desktop mode?
    If it's extended then thats your problem.
    I run an extended desktop in the office on XP and any fullscreen progs just take over the main screen and not the extension.
    And are the dimensions of the TV the same as your monitor?
    im not technical at all, i have no idea what mode my tv is in, all i do is select 'menu' on the remote and scroll to the hdmi input. i guess ill look at the tv menu again and see if i can find something called 'mirrored or extension' ?

    re dimensions,

    my tv is a lot bigger than the macbook

    but im guessing thats no what you meant .......

    dont give up on me.......

  4. #4

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,944
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    NOTE: Thread moved to appropriate forum. Not just anything goes in Anything Goes
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Jun 10, 2008
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    NOTE: Thread moved to appropriate forum. Not just anything goes in Anything Goes
    "well ive always had a deep respect and i mean that most

    sincrerelyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

  6. #6

    Zoolook's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 24, 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    2,756
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    It's quite normal what you see. By default, the MacBook creates an extended desktop on the TV to the right of the desktop on the Mac. Don't switch to mirrored mode, because it'll mess up the mac display.

    All you need to do is drag you window to the right and you should see it appear on the TV screen. If you really want your dock and taskbar on the TV screen, you can adjust things via system preferences, and go to screen set up from there.

    I usually just have it in extended mode and drag any windows I want to see on the TV onto that screen.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
    - Joan D. Vinge


  7. #7

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,944
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
    No need to get sarcastic, and if you are going to be sarcastic, perhaps work on the sentence contruction?
    He was quoting a song from Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here", the album cover pictured in my avatar
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  8. #8

    Zoolook's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 24, 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    2,756
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    He was quoting a song from Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here", the album cover pictured in my avatar
    Ooppss... I thought it was newbie blues... my bad! At least I answered the question...
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
    - Joan D. Vinge


  9. #9


    Member Since
    Jun 10, 2008
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
    It's quite normal what you see. By default, the MacBook creates an extended desktop on the TV to the right of the desktop on the Mac. Don't switch to mirrored mode, because it'll mess up the mac display.

    All you need to do is drag you window to the right and you should see it appear on the TV screen. If you really want your dock and taskbar on the TV screen, you can adjust things via system preferences, and go to screen set up from there.

    I usually just have it in extended mode and drag any windows I want to see on the TV onto that screen.
    thanks,

    will this also work in my 'windows partition' on my mac?

    or do i need to do some windows 'set up'

    ??

  10. #10

    Zoolook's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 24, 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    2,756
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    Quote Originally Posted by 60ndown View Post
    thanks,

    will this also work in my 'windows partition' on my mac?

    or do i need to do some windows 'set up'

    ??
    When I say window, I mean an application window, not the Microsoft Operating System 'Windows'.

    You don't need to install anything. Just drag any active window over to the right, and you'll see it come onto the TV screen from the left.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
    - Joan D. Vinge


  11. #11


    Member Since
    Jun 10, 2008
    Posts
    23
    im about 3/4 of the way there, i can get a lot of stuff on the tv, but it seems to be a different width, and refresh rate? then the mac? ill keep trying, im almost there

    puter looks way cool on a 46" lcd tv

  12. #12


    Member Since
    Jun 10, 2008
    Posts
    23
    got it

    i just made the tv my only monitor and it works well?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Problems Connecting on Wireless with MacBook Pro
    By shytooth in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-31-2011, 06:36 PM
  2. Problems connecting my MacBook through my wireless
    By fs_tigre in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-28-2010, 09:53 AM
  3. Problems connecting to the Internet with my Macbook Pro
    By Harpotom in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-10-2009, 02:38 AM
  4. Macbook problems connecting to wireless
    By steve_2 in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-28-2008, 02:22 PM
  5. Problems connecting Macbook to TV
    By Dman77 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-09-2008, 10:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •