New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Dead LCD monitor

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

I have a Proview 22 in monitor, model PL2230WDB which seems to have died.
The power button slowly blinks blue and the screen stays dark.
I've tried it on several different computers so it's not the video card.
The ONLY thing I've found online is something about changing some capacitors on the power board.
Did that, no joy. Don't really want to send it in and there's nowhere close that could check it out.
Of course it's warranty is up.

Does anyone know anything about these monitors? Is there some kind of reset magic with the switches?
Or am I just SOL? I have another 20 in connected so it's not an emergency or anything.
Bought it as a replacement. Would be nice to have both connected tho.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Just a shot in the dark here (no pun intended), but did you by chance check to see if the backlight was OK? Some LCD monitors will act exactly as you describe if the backlight goes out. Very often the backlight is the first thing to fail.

Also:

If you can get hold of a schematic for the monitor which will give you voltage readouts across the power supply, you may be able to check them to see if the monitor is receiving power.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future

There are specs for voltage printed on the circuit board.
How exactly does one check the backlight?
And is it really worth fixing/replacing?

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom View Post
I don't believe it's the backlight since you noted that the power light blinks instead of staying steady. Typically, with a bad backlight, the monitor will function normally, but there will be no obvious image on the screen. That is, unless you look closely in direct light - you'll still see that the monitor is operating it's just that there's nothing to illuminate the image. It's kind of like using a first generation Game Boy in the dark. In those cases, you need either a new inverter or CCFL tube.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
cowasaki

cowasaki is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom View Post
Please take this the correct way but if you have to ask the above questions then you are not really qualified to be messing about with the power supply! If my memory serves me correctly this is a consumer LCD display which is not exactly expensive. Do you really want to risk your life over it?

I am not being funny but I am qualified and I have still made mistakes and ended up getting a major jolt. Mains power is not to be taken lightly.

If however you are talking about a low voltage power board then by all means continue

Experienced computer user, applications programmer and component level service engineer but came to the Apple platform with intro of intel!. Pro-photographer and director of electronics company.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

Not taking it the wrong way but just to let you know, I've built power supplies from scratch for other projects. Mostly regulated 12v, 3 to 10 amp to power radios. Been zapped before too.

Was asking here in case it might be something on the video board which I don't know anything about. Haven't checked any voltages yet because the way it's put together, I'd need about 5 hands to hold things up and away and not sure it's really worth the trouble.

From what I read, it might be a problem with sleep mode. However when it's in sleep, the light turns orange. Right now it just blinks blue.
Thanks for the replies.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Printer listed in available printers, but still won't print | DVD Burning Software »