New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Problem with External USB HD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kingmob66

kingmob66 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I'm at wit's end trying to solve this problem. I have a Western Digital 200gb drive that I've been using for storing media. Yesterday, the drive wouldn't eject (as sometimes items won't). However, when i plugged it back in, OSX (Leopard) won't mount the drive. Here are some specifics.

1--the device shows up in Disk Edit, but not with the particular volume name (i.e. it just lists as 189 GB WDC...etc".). As such, it won't let me run verify or repair options. Sometimes, the drive does register in Disk Edit with the volume name, but it is grayed out (and unmounted), and verify/repair seems to hang...

2--it is not the USB cable, or the port--I've tried a thumb-drive in the slot and OSX picks it up immediately.

3--I've to use a number of salvage programs to view the drive's contents, but with no luck--I haven't done anything other than try to mount or peek at the contents using them.

I've read about FSCK on a couple of message boards, but am not an experienced command-line user enough to figure it out.

Is there anything I can do at the command/terminal level, to get the disk to remount? Is there any way short of sending out the drive for salvage, to get access to the drive's content?

Would appreciate any input/insight some of you more experienced mac users might be able to shed on this problem. I'd really hate to lose over 100gb of media i have stored on the drive...

Many thanks!

Kingmob66
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« nokia phones | Connect MacBook to Panasonic 32inch tv »