New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

European Power Supply for External Drives?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Cappie

Cappie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, iPod Touch 2g 16GB

Hello. Hopefully this hasn't been asked already and if it has, please provide a link as I did a search.

Anyway, I recently moved to Europe and now need power for my four external hard drives (Western Digital 500g x 2, HP 250g, Rock 250g). I don't want to buy those huge converters for all my stuff and was thinking that I could simply purchase European power supplies for these drives. Looking around I can't seem to find them. Does anyone have any ideas on where to find them and/or methods for connecting many US devices? Hopefully it is something simple that I'm just overlooking due to jet-lag. Thanks a bunch.
QUOTE Thanks
Bluegrass

Bluegrass will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB memory, 160GB hard drive, Leopard, 20" Widescreen Samsung Display

Do you have the USA power supplies with you?

Normally these are rated for 100-250V so you should be able to use them with just a plug adaptor. What does it say on the power supply label?

Apologies if this is stating the obvious, but in the UK almost all power supplies are rated this way.
QUOTE Thanks
Cappie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
Do you have the USA power supplies with you?

Normally these are rated for 100-250V so you should be able to use them with just a plug adaptor. What does it say on the power supply label?

Apologies if this is stating the obvious, but in the UK almost all power supplies are rated this way.
First off, there is no obvious for me right now as I'm only now emerging from the fog of jet-lag, which apparently lowers my IQ, lol.

Second, yes I still have the US power supplies. They say "Input 100-240v". I'm just very skittish about hooking them up as they contain footage for work and if I lose this footage I am scr*wed. By the way, I'm in Poland in case that has any relevance. Thanks for the info and I'll be watching this thread.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Poland uses 230/240v same as the UK. Most of europe is like that. You'll just need an adaptor US - > European 2 pin.

I don't have any experience in Poland but connecting it through a surge protector wouldn't hurt.

Might also be worth a trip to the manufacturers website to see if they have any international use info.
QUOTE Thanks
Cappie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
Poland uses 230/240v same as the UK. Most of europe is like that. You'll just need an adaptor US - > European 2 pin.

I don't have any experience in Poland but connecting it through a surge protector wouldn't hurt.

Might also be worth a trip to the manufacturers website to see if they have any international use info.
I'll give it a try. As for the manu's websites, didn't find anything (I'll go look harder in a bit though).

On a side note, has anyone else dealt with this and if so can you share some ways to deal? I was thinking I could plug a US power strip into a converter and then just plug in my devices as is. hmmm.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« instaling x.4 on a g4 on external dvd drive: HELP!!!!! | Lacie drives powering on in the "off" position...MacPro related »