New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

What do I do? (External HD related)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

milk is white

milk is white is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone-

I want a new external HD, a firewire one on my macbook as it would be faster. i have a usb 2.0 one now, and it is somewhat slow. as my whole iTunes and iPhoto libraries are on the external HD (my 60gb macbook HD isn't big enough, thus i have the external hd plugged in at all times), it is important that it is efficient and dependable.

however...

i want to import movies from my video camera that only takes a firewire connection, and put it directly onto a firewire drive. as you may be aware, the macbook only has 1 firewire port. thus, this poses a dilemma.

2 things:

1) what do i do about the lack of firewire ports? are there firewire hubs you can buy? or should i just go usb 2.0 on the external hd?

2) can anyone recommend a good hd (i looked in the sticky) that would be extremely dependable, considering i would have it plugged in all the time as a result of my iphoto and itunes libraries on it?

thanks!!
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk is white View Post
i want to import movies from my video camera that only takes a firewire connection, and put it directly onto a firewire drive. as you may be aware, the macbook only has 1 firewire port. thus, this poses a dilemma.

1) what do i do about the lack of firewire ports? are there firewire hubs you can buy? or should i just go usb 2.0 on the external hd?
Yes, there are firewire hubs. Belkin $50, and LaCie $90, make them. The LaCie one looks like a triffid, amazing!

Quote:
2) can anyone recommend a good hd (i looked in the sticky) that would be extremely dependable
There are more opinions about hard drive brands than almost anything else, but fwiw, I say Hitachi. Others prefer Seagate or Western Digital. Best value for money, based on cost/Gb is the 500 Gb capacity. I would suggest you get the combo firewire/USB drive, cover your bases.
QUOTE Thanks
nbrowser

nbrowser has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB

Stupid question.....whats a "triffid" ?

This is a multiplatform home !
QUOTE Thanks
Lucion

Lucion will become famous soon enough

Triffids are plants that can move around and try to take over the world. Read more here.

Here's the page for the Lacie "triffid" here. With a fan. Weee!

There are several available. Try searching for firewire hub at your favorite online seller. They aren't as cheap as USB hubs.

I tend to use Western Digital drives, but everybody has their own tastes. If you really want dependable you can check out the Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II external RAID drives.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucion View Post
Triffids are plants that can move around and try to take over the world. Here's the page for the Lacie "triffid" here. With a fan. Weee!
Way to go Lucion! Are you a s-f addict? I recall the novel 'The Day of the Triffids' from yesteryear. There was even a BBC tv series about it if I remember correctly.
QUOTE Thanks
Lucion

Lucion will become famous soon enough

Yes, I am a bit of a sci-fi man. I've been reading some of the classics of years past. I like hitting the used bookshop nearby for old paperbacks. I read that book many years ago. I recall a friend of mine was very excited when the BBC series came out on DVD.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wont let me get into external hard drive | Power Mac G4: Display Compatibility »