New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

I need a PDA but don't know which one to get

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gemigene

gemigene is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base

Hi,

I need a PDA (not a PDA/phone combo) but quite confused on what I should get. Quite a few years ago, I had a Palm and was quite happy with it and synced well with my Windoze PC but now realize that technology has made leaps and bounds since then.

What I need:
  • Something affordable
  • Would sync well with my iMac
  • Ample available Freeware and Shareware programs
  • Usage: keep track of the effects of prescribed meds several times/day, appointments, reminders w/ alarm, contacts, todo lists and a few other useful personal/business programs
  • Large enough screen
  • preferably with a mini keyboard
  • optional; built in camera (not necessary but convenient)

I don't really need WiFi and other bells and whistles.

Thanks,
Gene
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

I see no reason why you shouldn't just get another Palm OS device. If you want a mini keyboard, you'll have to go with an older model like Tungsten C.

What didn't your old Palm do that you are wanting now?
QUOTE Thanks
gotham

gotham is an unknown at this point

If you can wait I would say wait till the new Iphone comes out you will see a flood of the 1st gen on Ebay at the same time apple will have the new update and you can see if the programs you want are on Itunes if so you can pick up a Iphone pretty cheap considering the new ones are going to be $200 pop out the sim car and it will work like a Ipod Touch and should have a Good number of programs on it, It sync's with no issues but wait till the release of the new os for Ipod touch and iphone to ensure they have the programs you want. I know your not looking for all the bells and whistles but if you can get a deal no harm in having them and the touch screen is great for typing on.
QUOTE Thanks
gemigene

Mac Specs: 24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base

Thanks for your input.

Quote:
What didn't your old Palm do that you are wanting now?
It would have probably served my immediate purpose but I sold it years ago, I wasn't using it much back then.

Cheers,
Gene
QUOTE Thanks
gemigene

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotham View Post
If you can wait I would say wait till the new Iphone comes out you will see a flood of the 1st gen on Ebay at the same time apple will have the new update and you can see if the programs you want are on Itunes if so you can pick up a Iphone pretty cheap considering the new ones are going to be $200 pop out the sim car and it will work like a Ipod Touch and should have a Good number of programs on it, It sync's with no issues but wait till the release of the new os for Ipod touch and iphone to ensure they have the programs you want. I know your not looking for all the bells and whistles but if you can get a deal no harm in having them and the touch screen is great for typing on.
Thanks for the info but being that I usually reside in Central America (and will be heading back in a few months), it'd be a pain to have it fixed if it ever broke down (Apple stores are few and scarce whereas Palm, Samsung, etc.) can be easily serviced.

Cheers,
Gene
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

I agree with mynameis: I am using a Palm Centro and love it.
QUOTE Thanks
gemigene

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaNoHair View Post
Thanks, guess I'll be going shopping this week and see the various models. Good to know you like your Centro but the phone part of it won't do me any good in Central America because of the carriers.

Thanks,
Gene
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

A Palm Centrino or a 700P would work nicely.

QUOTE Thanks
gemigene

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaNoHair View Post
I also wonder if software written for Palm OS 3 will run on 5.4...

Gene
QUOTE Thanks
INTELligent

INTELligent can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Mac Mini

I don't see why you wouldn't just pick up an iPod Touch... That's basically my PDA... What would a Palm do that a Touch wouldn't?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTELligent View Post
I don't see why you wouldn't just pick up an iPod Touch... That's basically my PDA... What would a Palm do that a Touch wouldn't?
He already answered that question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemigene View Post
Thanks for the info but being that I usually reside in Central America (and will be heading back in a few months), it'd be a pain to have it fixed if it ever broke down (Apple stores are few and scarce whereas Palm, Samsung, etc.) can be easily serviced.

Cheers,
Gene

QUOTE Thanks
gemigene

Plus the fact that there's a truckload of applications for the Palm...
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

NOTE: Thread moved to appropriate forum. Not just anything goes in Anything Goes

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
hugtheslug

hugtheslug is a jewel in the roughhugtheslug is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2013 MacBook Air i5 13" / MacBook C2D 2.13GHz / iMac G5 iSight 1.9GHz / iMac G5 1.6 GHz / Pismo G4

Definitely Palm I'd say, my Treo 650 (Palm OS 5) syncs perfectly with the official Mac software in Tiger.

If you like I can check it out in Leopard but I'm sure it will work.

Cheers

Hugh
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugtheslug View Post
Definitely Palm I'd say, my Treo 650 (Palm OS 5) syncs perfectly with the official Mac software in Tiger.

If you like I can check it out in Leopard but I'm sure it will work.

Cheers

Hugh
Me also: my Palm Centro works perfectly with Leopard (I use Missing Sync). Just turn off the phone. Since you are not going to be using the phone you should be able to pick one up on eBay cheaply.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Printer problem | External Hardisk »