New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

What is the Best Bluetooth Keyboard?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PerryLynch

PerryLynch has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro 4GB

Right now, if I were designing my own bluetooth keyboard to market, it would have the following items:

1. Native Blue tooth support for the Mac, without the use of an external USB/radio.
2. Rechargeable batteries, or a charging base for both the board and a mouse.
3. An integrated 10-key pad.
4. A removable USB cable, that can be used to connect the board to the mac and charge it's batteries while you use it, for those days (weeks) when you forget to charge it and only realize it when you have a report due.

Of course, if the primary keys looked and felt like those of my Mac Book Pro, I'd be happy. If they looked like that, and had the typing action of an older IBM Selectric typewriter? I'd be thrilled.

But apparently this particular combination does not exist, and I'm a tech/geek, not a marketing guru. So I need your help:

I'm looking for a Blue tooth keyboard with a 10-key pad, that does NOT use a USB connector to interface properly with OS-X Leopard. It doesn't need to come with a mouse, although I won't refuse it if it does.

It DOES need to have a good, precise keyboard action, have functional 10-key support without the use of custom drivers, and I suppose it would be cool if it had the OS-X eject key. Although, it's not like I'm going to use this so far away from my MBP that I can't reach out and touch it.

If you use such a device, please - PLEASE - tell me what it is! How do you like it? Would you buy another one? Or would you stomp on it til the keys went 90 different directions? What sucks about it? Is it worth the money at all?

The only way I can effectively use my current Blue tooth Keyboard for data entry (a Logitech MX-5000) is to use the external bluetooth radio. And that's great, except that I don't know where it is, and even if I had it, I'm not sure I like the idea of using an external interface and not the internal. I mean, if I have to do that, I've got a stack of USB cabled keyboards to choose from!

I'll buy based on the recommendations of this thread. And, I'll post a review to help others, too.

Thank you,
Perry

Perry M Lynch, CISSP CISA
Mac Newbie, Security not-so-newbie
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Besides the numpad, the Logitech Di Novo Edge seems to fit what you're looking for. I use one for my Vista Media Center and it's absolutely amazing. It's a joy to type on and the integrated touch pad makes life very easy.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
PerryLynch

PerryLynch has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro 4GB

Yeah, but the problem is, I NEED the 10-key. That is not an option. So as much as I like the look of the Dinovo series, unless it comes with the 10-key section, supports an Intel Mac running 10.5.x, and doesn't require that darned proprietary usb radio, it's not in the running.

Perry M Lynch, CISSP CISA
Mac Newbie, Security not-so-newbie
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

It doesn't require the USB Bluetooth dongle, you can use the built in Bluetooth on your Mac. The problem is that you can't use the Bluetooth adapter for anything else.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

I also have the diNovo Edge. It works with exception to 5 buttons, one being the "home" button, flawlessly with Leopard. You do not need to use the dongle either. The dongle is only needed of you do not have a computer with Bluetooth.
My MP has built-in bluetooth and connection was quite simple. I have yet to take the standard keyboard the thing came with out of the plastic.
If only it had the number pad on the side....

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best Ext. HD? | Get the most out of the Apple TV »