New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Answer to a problem?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jerf-On-It

Jerf-On-It is on a distinguished road

I just got a new hard drive because when i started up my mac i had the flashing folder with the question mark thing.

Ran the installation disc and it couldn't locate the drive still.

After being jerked around by the technical support from apple they finally said it was the motherboard that was messed up.

But!!!!!! That doesn't make any sense because when i plug in an external hard drive via the USB port it will recognize it so that should mean that the motherboard or "logic board" should be fine.

The only other possible thing it could be is that the firmware needs to be refreshed which i guess is the problem.

So i'm guessing i should just take it to a mac store and get it refreshed and see if the system files are corrupt right?

Thanks!
Jerf
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerf-On-It View Post
I just got a new hard drive because when i started up my mac i had the flashing folder with the question mark thing.

After being jerked around by the technical support from apple they finally said it was the motherboard that was messed up.

But!!!!!! That doesn't make any sense because when i plug in an external hard drive via the USB port it will recognize it so that should mean that the motherboard or "logic board" should be fine.
That assertion is incorrect. When you plug in an external USB hard drive, you are actually plugging in several different devices, one of which is a hard drive controller - separate and distinct from the internal hard drive controller built into your machine.

Quote:
The only other possible thing it could be is that the firmware needs to be refreshed which i guess is the problem.

So i'm guessing i should just take it to a mac store and get it refreshed and see if the system files are corrupt right?

Thanks!
Jerf
Assuming there is an available firmware update, it should have been automatically downloaded via Software Updates. Have you tried resetting the PRAM (Press and hold Command + Option + P + R directly after turning the machine on, continue holding until you hear three system chimes).

Tell us a little more about your Mac - which model is it and what model of hard drive did you buy?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Jerf-On-It

Jerf-On-It is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerf-On-It View Post

Thanks!
Jerf
Okay so the problem the whole time is that my original HDD did not have the Frame Kitt on it.

I had no idea what that was cause there wasn't one on there causing a slew of idea's on what it could be....

So when the computer was jolted it came out and wouldn't go back it.

EXTREMELY SIMPLE FIX!!!! For a macbook 13" a 2.5" HDD Frame Kit which is like $15 plus S&H will hold your HDD in place...

Yeah i'm pretty much an idiot i know but thats how i learned so there you go.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Jerf
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help needed with Lacie big disk extreme+ | Trouble transferring Maxtor 2 external drive from PC to Mac »