New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Best Ext. HD?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mcjacksonnelson

mcjacksonnelson has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3

hey guys,

im gonna get a nice big ext hd soon. any advice on which brand to get? i've heard some bad things about Western Digital. anyway, thanks in advance.

"You can't fight in here, this is the war room!"

CONSTRUCTIV Art & Design
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

I'm a huge fan of Western Digital's MyBook series.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

I have a Verbatim 250GB portable HD. It works well. Yeah, I head WD HDs last on average 2 months =P

Don't know if that's accurate, but it came up more than once. I think this was from Apple's website, too. I would recommend the one I have. It really is portable, I bring it with me when I travel.

QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Noels has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM

mcjacksonnelson,

I backed up my Macbook hard drive using SuperDuper (free version makes a bootable copy) then removed the original hard drive from the Macbook, replaced it with a new Western Digital Scorpion 320GB 5400RPM hard drive. Then I used SuperDuper to put my OS and all the data back on the new internal drive. I'm now using the original Macbook hard drive as an external for backups... I just bought a Bytecc USB enclosure for the drive (about $20) and Voila! I'm back in business with a new external and a larger internal drive. I use this external for Time Machine.

I also bought a 160GB Western Digital Passport for a second external drive and I use that with SuperDuper for a second backup, just in case BTW, I love the Passport - small, quiet and runs off the USB cable that came with it. The Bytecc enclosure also runs off the USB cable - no external power required...

Noel
QUOTE Thanks
TheTrueMoron

TheTrueMoron is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro 4GB Ram, LED HD display, 200GB 7200RPM HD, 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Macbook 2.4Ghz

I bought an Iomega 360GB 7200 RPM Desktop Hard Drive from RadioShack a few weeks ago. I bought it for $90 on sale, but the sale has unfortunately ended. I believe the price is currently $115. It's not a portable hard drive, but for at-home desktop storage and backup it's an A+. It does require and external power source but it is fast. Downside: it attracts fingerprints and you can't get them off because of its textured case.

Here it is and the sale was extended (out of stock online but you can check your local store): http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...Id=3003032&cp=
QUOTE Thanks
mcjacksonnelson

mcjacksonnelson has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3

thanks guys.

i'm either gonna go with an iomega or LaCie. heard good things about both.

"You can't fight in here, this is the war room!"

CONSTRUCTIV Art & Design
QUOTE Thanks
INTELligent

INTELligent can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Mac Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfwax95 View Post
I'm a huge fan of Western Digital's MyBook series.
Seconded... I love those things, I have the new Essential 500GB on my desk right now. And at the office, I have a World Edition II 2TB on the network... I have friends/family who are in the digital photography business and after they started using the My Book HDD's, they've never stopped to this day. They've had two Maxtors go dead though, lol.
QUOTE Thanks
irwjc

irwjc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac. 15" MacBookPro. 13" MacBookPro. iPhone 3G

ok...i just bought the Maxtor yesterday and maybe I had temporary amnesia or something, but I searched reviews for over an hour before heading to staples and somehow decided the Maxtor was better than the MyBook's...UGH! Now I have a 500GB Maxtor and am scared to use it!

So--IF it does die, are your files totally lost, or can you retrieve them and move them to a new drive?
QUOTE Thanks
y-guy

y-guy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.4 - 4GB RAM, Logitech S530 Kbrd/Mouse, Logitech Z2300 Speakers

I have an older WD MyBook, can't complain its always worked fine. However I found it ab it loud and vibrated a fair amount - maybe the newer ones are better in that aspect. I still have it, hooked up to my AirPort. However I opted to buy a Macally G-S350SUA and add my own HD, currently a 250GB but will be upgrading it to a 1TB shortly. I like the new setup since I can turn off the drive completely as the OS likes to spin the drive up frequently.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« No Screen... Louder Fan | What is the Best Bluetooth Keyboard? »