New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Webcam for Power Mac G5?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zeke46

zeke46 is on a distinguished road

I am asking this on behalf of my daughter, who has an older PowerMac G5: Are there any webcams out there that will work with her older Mac and that will work well when communicating with me when I get my new iMac? Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke46 View Post
Are there any webcams out there that will work with her older Mac and that will work well when communicating with me when I get my new iMac?
Try these two links:
http://www.pure-mac.com/webcam.html
http://www.epinions.com/msg/show_~th.../forum_id_~468
(you need to wade through a lot of dross)

Maccam is a piece of software that claims to make a number of digicams compatible with Mac. You can find out more about that through Skype.

I use a Logitech Quickcam Go, and whilst it's adequate and works with Skype, I couldn't honestly recommend it.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I have two different web cams that work with my older PowerMac G5.

1/ External iSight. Still available on eBay and still the most versatile solution for your Mac.

2/ Logitech Quickcam Pro for Notebooks. This works with Skype on my G5, but it doesn't work with any of the other programs, such as iChat.

Finally, check out www.ecamm.com. They have the iMage USB Web Cam which is Mac compatible and a great bit of software called iUSBCam that allows you to use a large list of "stock" webcams with iChat.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« LaCie Big Disk Extreme 1TB | New Voodoo vs MBA? »