New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

HD Enclosuer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cas

cas will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook 1.83Ghz 512mb Mac OSX 10.4.8

Hello
I just bought a HD enclosuer to use an old HD from a pc i used to use. its dead now. So i wanted to use the hd as external.
So when i tryed to use the HD on my macbook, i can only read it, but not writo or erase. I though that maybe connecting it to a PC selectin it, and uncheck the 'Read only' (i dont know how to do that on mac). But it didnt work.
So when i was looking for something to to with it, int he information of the disk it says the formtat is: Windows NT file system.
So i thought it could be that. I just wanted to be sure before formating it.
By the way, if i have t format it, whak kind of fomat should i use to make it compatible with Win and Mac?
thanx
n_n
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

NTFS as you've found is only readable from mac os without a 3rd party solution. You can try Paragon or NTFS-3G with MacFuse which will let you read and write.

Alternatively you can reformat it as FAT32 which is read/write friendly for mac and windows but isn't as robust as ntfs.

A search on this forum will gives you lots of info, pros cons of each etc.
QUOTE Thanks
cas

cas will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook 1.83Ghz 512mb Mac OSX 10.4.8

THANX!
ill look around the forumn
n_n
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Unless you NEED to share this drive with a PC, your best option is to format it for the Mac native format. You will get the best performance and most compatibility that way. I would recommend it.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« AirPort Express and Printer Connectivity | MacbBook Air Superdrive compatible with a normal MacBook? »