Thread: HD Enclosuer

Specs:
    Macbook 1.83Ghz 512mb Mac OSX 10.4.8
    HD Enclosuer
    Hello
    I just bought a HD enclosuer to use an old HD from a pc i used to use. its dead now. So i wanted to use the hd as external.
    So when i tryed to use the HD on my macbook, i can only read it, but not writo or erase. I though that maybe connecting it to a PC selectin it, and uncheck the 'Read only' (i dont know how to do that on mac). But it didnt work.
    So when i was looking for something to to with it, int he information of the disk it says the formtat is: Windows NT file system.
    So i thought it could be that. I just wanted to be sure before formating it.
    By the way, if i have t format it, whak kind of fomat should i use to make it compatible with Win and Mac?
    thanx
    n_n

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Air 2, New AppleTV (4?)
    NTFS as you've found is only readable from mac os without a 3rd party solution. You can try Paragon or NTFS-3G with MacFuse which will let you read and write.

Alternatively you can reformat it as FAT32 which is read/write friendly for mac and windows but isn't as robust as ntfs.

A search on this forum will gives you lots of info, pros cons of each etc.

Specs:
    Macbook 1.83Ghz 512mb Mac OSX 10.4.8
    THANX!
    ill look around the forumn
    n_n

Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    Unless you NEED to share this drive with a PC, your best option is to format it for the Mac native format. You will get the best performance and most compatibility that way. I would recommend it.
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

Thread Information