New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

PC External on Mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MBarry

MBarry is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro - Stacked

Quick question.
Just switched from a custom PC to a MacBook Pro. All my old files and music are on my old hard drive for my pc. I plan on pulling my HD out and making it external. Will that be compatible with my Mac? Can I only read files on it or can I use it like a regular external HD even though its a NTFS or a FAT32 system? (I believe its a NTFS) Please let me know.

Matt
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

If its NTFS you can read, but not write. FAT can be both read/write under OS X.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
TheTrueMoron

TheTrueMoron is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro 4GB Ram, LED HD display, 200GB 7200RPM HD, 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Macbook 2.4Ghz

Are you sure? I have an external drive that is FAT32 and my Mac won't read it.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

I'm with Stretch. Mac OS X can read and write FAT32 natively and just read NTFS.

If you can't read from a FAT32 formatted drive it's not because of the file system.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
MBarry

can i pull everything off my drive on to Mac HD format the external HD to mac compatibility and then use it as a read and write external?
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

yeah, that will be no problem. Are you planning on using it with a Windows machine, or just your Mac?

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
MBarry

just my mac. after i get my pc all up to par im selling it and strictly using my mac. im tired of running multiple computers anymore.
QUOTE Thanks
getuptogetdown

getuptogetdown is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle

I HIGHLY suggest doing what you were asking about: backing up the files on your mac HD then reformatting the external drive to mac format (NFS+ journaled). Although FAT32 can be read/written to and you can get programs to read/write to NTFS on a mac, I have read nothing but horror stories of people losing their files to these very unstable formats.

Loving my MBP more and more everyday
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac Keyboard #s Pad Won't Work in Windows | Buying a external usb 2.0 needs to work on pc/mac. »