New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

MacBook Pro - My External Drive Is Hiding Its Contents!?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

John-Saxon

John-Saxon is on a distinguished road

Hi from me to all users, this is my first post on this forum.

I have a question about my external drive... Its an NTFS-3g formatted drive which I managed to get running using FinkComander and MacFuse .
Upon switching on my Macbook Pro this morning to begin work I found that there are no files in the Drive, a Maxtor Basics 80gb USB Portable Media drive, yet it still shows that there is 11gb of data stored on the drive.

I'm a little worried as I had spend last night moving important files onto the device to protect them, ironically it seems as though in doing so I could in fact have lost them? I hope somebody on this forum is able to tell me that there is a solution.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

do you have access to a windows machine?

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
John-Saxon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
do you have access to a windows machine?
Thanks for prompt reply...

I don't own one but I could take a trip to a friends who does
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

well, that would probably be the easiest course of action to determine if the files exist at all.

perhaps someone could run you through some terminal commands to find the same thing, but i'm pretty useless in unix/linux terminal.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
John-Saxon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
...i'm pretty useless in unix/linux terminal.
Likewise... I've had no end of problems with trying to get this drive to function correctly.

Thanks for your help eric, I'll give that a shot...

If anybody has anyother idea's I'd like to hear them too
QUOTE Thanks
eric

np - good luck finding your data

QUOTE Thanks
getuptogetdown

getuptogetdown is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle

PLEASE reformat your drive to the mac format (NFS+) and find a work around if you need to transfer files from pc to mac like a zip drive or something. I was using an NTFS drive with 3g and I lost 13 thousand mp3s that I had stored on it! Luckily I had them on my ipod. Also, if you use another HD for time machine, it will look like it's backing up your NTFS HD but it really isn't...figured that out the hard way. When looking into this I found lots and lots of horror stories about it. Also, one major problem is if for whatever reason the drive doesn't eject properly it can mess everything up. I would say one thing you can try is plug it into a PC, eject it safely, then see if your files are there.

Loving my MBP more and more everyday
QUOTE Thanks
John-Saxon

Quote:
Originally Posted by getuptogetdown View Post
PLEASE reformat your drive to the mac format (NFS+) and find a work around if you need to transfer files from pc to mac like a zip drive or something. I was using an NTFS drive with 3g and I lost 13 thousand mp3s that I had stored on it! Luckily I had them on my ipod. Also, if you use another HD for time machine, it will look like it's backing up your NTFS HD but it really isn't...figured that out the hard way. When looking into this I found lots and lots of horror stories about it. Also, one major problem is if for whatever reason the drive doesn't eject properly it can mess everything up. I would say one thing you can try is plug it into a PC, eject it safely, then see if your files are there.
The drive mounts and unmounts correctly, the files just seem to be not there... I've since written to the drive successfully but there is still 11gb of data apparently on the drive.

Unfortunately the information on the drive is not backed up because I was in the process of doing so at the time. Did you loose your entire contents? The drive hold five years of music production work which is really worrying me!!

Thanks for the reply
QUOTE Thanks
getuptogetdown

getuptogetdown is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle

I don't really know what to tell you on how to fix it. I didn't lose all my files but when I tried to take them off the drive it was creating a lot of corrupt files....luckily some of it stayed and I got some of it off

Loving my MBP more and more everyday
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Powered USB Hub and G5 | Recommended Drive »