New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Backing up terabytes.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NateL

NateL is on a distinguished road

In a business environment, where data is critical, what backup systems do you recommend? We're looking at 15 TB scattered around on various external hard drives. We want to start some kind of backup system. We're looking into the Tandberg VXA-320, but I feel like there may be an easier alternative.

Thanks for any suggestions
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

i think the problem is that the data resides on external hard drives.

i'm not sure what kind of company you have but if you ever think there is any possibility you may be audited for any reason, that could be a huge liability.

you may want to look at some sort of server farm with either enough RAID protected storage onboard, or with networked storage. either way, yo may want to make sure it is backed up to tape so that you can offsite to a vault.

it may be a good idea to simply check with some of the big names here: IBM, SUN/StorageTek, HP, etc. for consultation; and then check in your area for companies that do offsite storage/vaulting.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Eric: You took the words right out of my mouth. 15TB doesn't sound like much in today's world of 1TB hard drives, but once you hit that kind of a threshold, your needs are well beyond that of ordinary consumers.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

well, it's the business, you know.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
NateL

Thanks guys

Multimedia. LOTS of video.
QUOTE Thanks
NateL

I did some quick math and found that we would end up spending about $7,000 per year on just tapes if we went with that Tandberg VXA-320.

The tapes were about $70 each at 160 gb.
15tb = 15,360gb / 160gb = 96 tapes * $70 = $6,720....eek, tapes?

What about Drobo? $500 for the system, and then NewEgg has 1TB drives for around $200. I'd be looking at half the cost to use internal hard drives...fill it up, swap it out.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need help with printing! | IDE to USB converter »