New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

External Casing for Old Mac Hard Drive?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

InIn14

InIn14 is on a distinguished road

Okay...so my iBook G4 just recently died on me. I took out the hard drive (60 GB) and bought an external casing to plug it into (2.5). Unfortunately, my other computer is a Windows computer, and when I plugged the hard drive into it to retrieve my files, nothing showed up. I know it is working, however, because I can hear the hard drive spinning and the light on the casing lights up when I plug it into the computer.

The instruction booklet for the casing said that if this sort of a problem happens, I will need to format/partition the hard drive, which I don't want to do for obvious reasons. Is it not working because of something wrong with the hard drive or because it is formatted for Mac computers and not Windows one? Would it work if I tried plugging it into a friend's mac?
QUOTE Thanks
ogacon

ogacon has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs:  15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver

I'm sure it is not working because of the format. If you plugged it into your friend's Mac, it should work just like an external drive. Once you get all your stuff off it, you can reformat as FAT 32 and it will be compatible cross platform.

Relay For Life Support me in Relay For Life! Run by American Cancer Society. Cancer research.
What sound does your Rooster make?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External hard drive for a Mac newbie | Keeping my hard-drive off as long as possible »