New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Ideas for an External Hard Drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jay2325

jay2325 is on a distinguished road

Hey Everyone,
Im a high school senior getting ready to go off to college. I just got a mac book (which I love) and I am now searching for an external hard drive. Being a student, I dont have a ton of money to spend, but I also dont need a huge amount of memory. Im just trying to find an external hard drive that is: Mac compatible, reliable, and doesnt take up a lot of space (seeing as I will have limited space in my dorm). Any help or ideas would be great. Thanks for your help!!

-J
QUOTE Thanks
saxnbass

saxnbass will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G

I have a few different ones I use. If you need small and portable I recommend a Western Digital Passport: http://www.westerndigital.com/en/pro...=9&language=en
or SeaGate FreeAgent Go:
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/pro.../freeagent_go/

If not so much on the portable side, I suggest SeaGate FreeAgent Desktop:
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/pro...p_data_movers/

I personally own and use both a WD Passport and SeaGate FreeAgent Desktop. Both work great, never had a problem with either one.

Eric
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, Core Duo; iMac: 2.4GHz, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD. Both running Leopard; 160GB iPod Classic; and 16GB iPhone 3G, 1st 8GB Gen iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Noels has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM

jay,

Welcome to the froum.

I'll second saxnbass's recommendation for a WD Passport. I have a 160GB version and I love it - small, reliable, stays cool, relatively inexpensive and requires no outside power since it uses the supplied connecting USB cable... You can get them from Newegg from $90 shipped for a 160GB and on up to 320GB. Check it out. Go to :http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...port&x=13&y=26. Scroll down to see all the different prices.

Noel
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Our Sunday paper has sales circulars from Best Buy, Office Depot, Circuit City, Staples, Office Max, etc. Every Sunday, at least one of the above has the WD Passport drives on sale. Check the store ads in your Sunday paper. They are also available on the websites of all the stores listed above if you don't get a paper with all the circulars.
QUOTE Thanks
jay2325

jay2325 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the ideas and comments!
QUOTE Thanks
jah

jah will become famous soon enough

external hd
look at zipzoomfly.com andor newegg.com, i like the costumers reviews and they strong delivery response at newegg, buy a blank box ($40) with firewire and or usb2 connect and buy a hd. the hd is a sata2 500gig thingy ($110). put the two together, format it hfs+ (mac) or ntfs (pc).

i have a ntfs home netowrk and os10.5.2 reads writes just fine. does the TimeMachine w/ some patch. dont know about usb2 or firewire but likely to work too better than a networked situation.

another thing about usb2 is it takes significant hardware to get near the max data rate so whatever you buy you just dont know how fast it will be.
QUOTE Thanks
SoCal_Tomato

SoCal_Tomato is on a distinguished road

I just got this over the weekend for my MBP
http://www.g-technology.com/Products/G-RAID2.cfm (1TB)...I love it!
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

Which External Hard Drive should I buy/Do you suggest?

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Anyone travelled with their Apple Cinema Display | Apple DVI to Video Adapter »