New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

How much space for Time Machine?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

birdhouse360360

birdhouse360360 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro -- 2 Ghz Intel Core Duo / 2 GB Ram / 320GB HD -- iPhone 3G Black 16GB

I have a 500Gb Hard drive that I want to partition into 3 parts: NTFS, FAT32, and Extended Journal. I will be using NTFS for pc files, FAT32 For Mac, and journal for time machine. How much should space should i give Journal so time machine can do its thing??

Also, what format is the free space option? and instead of partition 3 parts can i just use Journal to store mac files like music, pictures, and videos along with using it with time machine?

If you couldn't tell I just made the switch to mac last week so im very new at this!

Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

The rule of thumb is generally twice the size of your internal hard drive. With an 80GB drive, a 160GB Time Machine partition should suffice.

Yes, you can store Mac files on the Journaled Time Machine partition, there's no need to make a separate partition for that. However, I question why you need an NTFS partition. Windows can read and write from FAT32 just as easily, but you face the problem of not being able to write to the NTFS partition from within OS X (OS X can only read from an NTFS partition).

I think the best way to go about it is to only have two partitions, the Journaled partition at 160GB with a FAT32 partition covering the rest. This way you can save files to the FAT32 partition from both Windows and OS X while leaving the Journaled partition just for Time Machine.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
birdhouse360360

birdhouse360360 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro -- 2 Ghz Intel Core Duo / 2 GB Ram / 320GB HD -- iPhone 3G Black 16GB

Perfect! thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
saxnbass

saxnbass will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G

That, or if you wanted the Win and OS X on 2 different partitions, do 2 FAT32 partitions. Just a though, otherwise just do 2 partitions total like Kash said.
And rule of thumb is twice the internal drive, though more won't hurt, it'll just mean you can back up more/longer.

Eric
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, Core Duo; iMac: 2.4GHz, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD. Both running Leopard; 160GB iPod Classic; and 16GB iPhone 3G, 1st 8GB Gen iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks
hagios1972

hagios1972 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Yes, you can store Mac files on the Journaled Time Machine partition, there's no need to make a separate partition for that. However, I question why you need an NTFS partition. Windows can read and write from FAT32 just as easily, but you face the problem of not being able to write to the NTFS partition from within OS X (OS X can only read from an NTFS partition).
Unless you install Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X driver, which makes OSX to read and write on the the NTFS partition.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« network printer driver problem | External burners »