New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Hardware encrypted USB flash drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Gravelrash

Gravelrash is on a distinguished road

Hi Guy

Just joined the forum so, hello.

I am after some information, does anyone know if you can buy hardware encrypted USB flash drives that run on the Mac? I have looked around and all I can find is Windows compatiable devices and nothing for the Mac. Basically the device has to be encrypted to AES 256 and mustn't install anything into the OS.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Rob
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

No, but you can create a encrypted disk image and drag that onto the stick..
Disadvantage: Only mac compatible.
QUOTE Thanks
rogerinlondon

rogerinlondon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro 2,66GHz 10GB RAM NV 8800GT Cinema 30" * MBP 15" Glossy 2.33 GHz 2 Duo 3GB RAM 160GB HD

Try TrueCrypt. It will enable you to encrypt a memory stick and you can use it both with a PC or a Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Gravelrash

I've used Truecrypt on the PC and it does the job, however you need to have local admin rights to run the client. I've not used it on the Mac, does it require anything special, permissions etc? and can I still run it as a standalone application i.e. nothing needs to be installed on the client machine?
QUOTE Thanks
rogerinlondon

rogerinlondon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro 2,66GHz 10GB RAM NV 8800GT Cinema 30" * MBP 15" Glossy 2.33 GHz 2 Duo 3GB RAM 160GB HD

There is something called Traveler mode (whcih I have not tried) where you do not need to install the software first, but it seems as if you need admin privileges to use it....
QUOTE Thanks
PerryLynch

PerryLynch has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro 4GB

Interestingly enough, I came across this today:
I hope it helps - it claims to be OS independent. I've not tested it, and I don't know anyone that has. But I'm certainly interested...

http://corsair.com/products/padlock.aspx

Perry M Lynch, CISSP CISA
Mac Newbie, Security not-so-newbie
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Whats wrong with this?>>> http://store.lexar.com/?productid=JDSEP4GB-431

I have one, works fine with OS X and Vista.
QUOTE Thanks
Gravelrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis View Post

I've got one of these but it trys to install drivers before running, is this what your's did?
QUOTE Thanks
PerryLynch

PerryLynch has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro 4GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis View Post

Interesting. There is no data on their site that acknowledges any OS-X compatibility. Are you saying that it has both an OS-X and a Vista encryption client on it, so that you can authenticate either way? Or are you saying that you can only access encrypted files on Vista, but unencrypted files are accessible on both Vista and OS-X?

Seriously. I could use about a dozen OS-X/Windows compatible encrypted thumb drives. If you've got screenshots that show both platforms being able to use this in an encrypted manner, I'm going to go out and buy one or two for testing purposes.

Perry M Lynch, CISSP CISA
Mac Newbie, Security not-so-newbie
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryLynch View Post
Interesting. There is no data on their site that acknowledges any OS-X compatibility. Are you saying that it has both an OS-X and a Vista encryption client on it, so that you can authenticate either way? Or are you saying that you can only access encrypted files on Vista, but unencrypted files are accessible on both Vista and OS-X?

Seriously. I could use about a dozen OS-X/Windows compatible encrypted thumb drives. If you've got screenshots that show both platforms being able to use this in an encrypted manner, I'm going to go out and buy one or two for testing purposes.
You can read the encrypted portion in OS X and Windows, but like Gravelrash mentioned, OS X requires you to install a driver, Vista doesn't though. I'll post screen shots later if I am on my MBP.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

There is lexar's program running in OS X.
QUOTE Thanks
brad.minor

brad.minor is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook - 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB ram 160GB hard drive Aluminum Unibody

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryLynch View Post
Interestingly enough, I came across this today:
I hope it helps - it claims to be OS independent. I've not tested it, and I don't know anyone that has. But I'm certainly interested...

Welcome to Corsair :: Flash Padlock Product Information
The corsair product is not encrypted and in fact is very easy to hack.
Corsair Flash Padlock Not So Secure... (The Dutch Said it)
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10.1

I have been using this for a while now on both Mac OS X an Windows

Bullet proof hardware encryption, military grade.
No drivers needed !

However ....... you need to activate this baby on a windows machine before usage. I activated it on my Virtual Windows machine on the mac.

They have a Mac OS X client in Beta right now.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
burnspbesq

burnspbesq is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBie View Post
I have been using this for a while now on both Mac OS X an Windows

Bullet proof hardware encryption, military grade.
No drivers needed !
There is a press release on the IronKey website announcing the sale of its hardware business to Imation. Not at all clear what the implications of that are. This may be a "move now or get run over" moment if you're interested in one of their secure USB drives (which I would definitely be if they had a 64 Gb model).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is there a way to clone a Linux drive with OS X? | PS3, Medialink and Airport Extreme »