New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

prepping imac hard drive in a powermac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sonicj

i always try to read as much as i can be fore i go posting questions on forums, but this one i couldn't find an answer to. i have a powermac g4 400 and the girl im seeing has a slot load imac 500 g4. i bought her a new hard drive for her machine, but she lives in a different town. so my question is... can i load panther onto the hard drive using my powermac and then when i see her, just slap the drive into her slot load imac? are the loads hardware specific or is a os x install the same for every machine? thanx bunches!
QUOTE Thanks
WilliS

yea, you shouldnt have a problem.... where i work, we would set up a mac with an image of panther with all the programs the school has licenses for, etc, and then we just send it out over netboot to all of the macs in the district... imacs, emacs, ibooks, everything... your osx image is its own thing, totally separate from what hardware your computer has on it....

at least thats my experience with it... if anyone has had different, please share..i wouldnt want him to be mislead.. but thats what ive seen of it
QUOTE Thanks
sonicj

awesome! thats kinda what i was thinking... worth a shot at least. just trying to convert upgrade time into quality time with the miss'
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

Before you try to install OS X in the iMac make sure the firmware is updated otherwise you can kill the iMac. Check http://lowendmac.com/imacs/2001-500.html. Besides the info there it has a link to an Apple tech note about the firmware.
QUOTE Thanks
sonicj

proper! she would be pissed if i fragged her imac!
QUOTE Thanks
sonicj

*update* ok, so the swap went verry smoove! prepped the drive in the powermac. loaded os, ran updates, installed her software... put both machines on my network. copied all her files and settings over to the new drive in my powermac. opened up the imac, swapped drives. butta! thanx for the help guys! peace.
sj
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Portable device | Mac TFT monitor question »