New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Disk defrag ?'s

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

me399

me399 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" MacBookPro 2.33 GHz, 2 GB Ram 160 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 750 GB External HDD

I know on windows this is something built into the O.S. and you should run it ever once and a while to keep the H.D.D. in order and neat, is this something that is also built into O.S.X tirger and does it need to be run. I have 80 gigs of stuff on my MBP, I know if this was a windows machine it would be a mess and in dire need of defragment. I dont know if O.S.X. works the same way, if so and I need to Defrag, is this feature built into Tiger, if so where do I find it, if not what should I download?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

No - OSX does the drefrag in the background without you needing do do a thing
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

While OS X (HFS+) is far superior to Windows (FAT or NTFS), defragmenting still helps. I've noticed difference in performance using iDefrag. Some say I'm delusional but I will stand by it. However, once in six months or so is more than enough.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Apple's position on defragmenting (FWIW):

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25668

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

From apple

Quote:
Do I need to optimize?

You probably won't need to optimize at all if you use Mac OS X. Here's why:
Hard disk capacity is generally much greater now than a few years ago. With more free space available, the file system doesn't need to fill up every "nook and cranny." Mac OS Extended formatting (HFS Plus) avoids reusing space from deleted files as much as possible, to avoid prematurely filling small areas of recently-freed space.

Mac OS X 10.2 and later includes delayed allocation for Mac OS X Extended-formatted volumes. This allows a number of small allocations to be combined into a single large allocation in one area of the disk.

Fragmentation was often caused by continually appending data to existing files, especially with resource forks. With faster hard drives and better caching, as well as the new application packaging format, many applications simply rewrite the entire file each time. Mac OS X 10.3 Panther can also automatically defragment such slow-growing files. This process is sometimes known as "Hot-File-Adaptive-Clustering."

Aggressive read-ahead and write-behind caching means that minor fragmentation has less effect on perceived system performance.

For these reasons, there is little benefit to defragmenting.

Note:Mac OS X systems use hundreds of thousands of small files, many of which are rarely accessed. Optimizing them can be a major effort for very little practical gain. There is also a chance that one of the files placed in the "hot band" for rapid reads during system startup might be moved during defragmentation, which would decrease performance.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

And here's another take on defragging:
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html#Anchor-Note-51722

I recommend reading this. It seems to be a pretty credible article on drive maintenance in general. The bottom line on defragging is "it depends". I saw a significant difference when using iDefrag the first time I used it... not quite so much since. It much depends on how the computer gets used.

EDIT: Here's another nice techinical write-up:
http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?...70301091515843
QUOTE Thanks
jayman414

jayman414 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christm View Post
From apple

thanks for highlighting the important stuff. I was under the impression that defragging did little for Macs and this just confirmed it. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

thanks. although someone, obviously didn't approve of me being helpful by highlighting what apple says, as someone has used the rep tool against me.

why !. Im helping.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by christm View Post
thanks. although someone, obviously didn't approve of me being helpful by highlighting what apple says, as someone has used the rep tool against me.

why !. Im helping.
takes all kinds christm - don't sweat it - and remember if it's a gray blip, just means they haven't been around long enough for their rep to count, for or against.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Getting Classic Running on a G4 Notebook... | Changing trash, eject, system etc. icons »