New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Problem with Spotlight search criteria - ITS MISSING!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

m021478

m021478 is on a distinguished road

Here is a screenshot of the typical spotlight window on a 10.5.2 machine (Intel Mac Pro):

Here is a screenshot of the same window after I click the '+' sign to add an additional search criteria value:

In the second screenshot, that extra blank space at the bottom is where is supposed to say Name: or Kind: etc...but its just not there and I have no idea why??

I have tried creating a new user account on my machine to see if the same issue occurred their as well, and sure enough, it does not.

I have tried all sorts of maintenance and repair tactics to resolve the issue (such as repairing permissions, running DIsk Warrior, Cocktail, Onyx, Leopard Cache Cleaner, etc...) but nothing seems to resolve the issue??

Anyone have any thoughts as to what the issue might be, and how I can go about fixing it?

FYI - In case any does know of any third-party apps that might cause this issue, below are a few screenshots showing some of the apps, system preferences, and processes running on my machine:

Applications Folder:
http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/8...sfolderuj1.png

System Preferences:
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/9493/sysprefsiq9.png

My Processes:
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/1...ocesseseq3.png
QUOTE Thanks
m021478

I checked the console for error messages upon expanding the finder window search criteria menu, and it resulted in the following message being generated...

Sender[PID]:
Finder [242]

HIToolbox: ignoring exception 'Delete returned nil for call to ruleEditor:0x1c1247d0 displayValueForCriterion:0x51c760 inRow:0' that raised inside Carbon event dispatch

Anyone have any idea what this means?
QUOTE Thanks
m021478

OK, so this is a weird one...I found this link in searching the net for a solution to my problem, in which some other guy who was having the exact same issue managed to resolve his problem by...get this...trashing his com.apple.finder.plist file, then instead of just restarting (which didn't work for him, or for me to resolve the issue) instead, immediately after trashing the com.apple.finder.plist file, holding down the power button for 5 seconds to force-shutdown

Low and behold, I tried it and it worked!! The issue is not an issue anymore!
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

After tossing out the plist, a regular restart probably would have worked. Without a restart, forced or not, the machine had read and loaded the old plist when it had started and continued using it after it was trashed.

An aside: Funny how that problem is a seeming holdover from pre-OS X systems. Whether a preferences file in System 9 and earlier or a preferences-list file in X, the problem and the cure is the same. Trash it and restart.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New error on Homepage. | Mac OS X version help »