New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.3 - iBook g4 Panther Install Blank Screen Plz Help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nickpaudio

nickpaudio is on a distinguished road

I have an ibook g4 1.42ghz processorm 1gb ram and i recently purchased an 80gb hd for it. The hard drive is brand new with nothing on it. I had it installed and when i try to install the Panther 10.3 install disc, it goes to the grey apple screen, loads then brings me to a blank screen. if i start it without install disk it goes to screen with ?/face folder logo. Any help is greatly appreciated.'
thanks in advance
nick
QUOTE Thanks
chopcraft

chopcraft is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 600MHz CPU, 16MB VRAM, 384MB RAM, 100MHz Bus, OS 10.4.11.

That's odd! Did you get to the installer to install 10.3? When the install disc is in the computer are you starting the computer while holding 'C' on your keyboard? That will start from the install disc.
Does the startup chime sound when you turn on the computer?
Are the install discs for your iBook? (If they are specifically for another kind of mac, like a mac mini, they will not work on your computer).
Finally, while the power adapter is unplugged and the battery is removed, open the keyboard and remove the Airport wireless card, if there is one. Now remove the metal plate covering the RAM. There are step by step instructions with good photo illustrations for this here. Remove the RAM carefully and reassemble the computer. Start it up again and see if it will now get past the grey apple screen. (Remember to hold C while starting so it starts from the CD). If it works it means the RAM was either not installed quite right or was loose, or the RAM is damaged and can not be used.
Let me know if any of this helps. If it doesn't, there are a few more possibilities I know of.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« All Timemachine backups not visible to another user | HEEELP!!! please, troubleshooting »