New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - OS Tiger Major Problem! Won't boot - I've tried everything!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

am2681

am2681 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12'' G4 iBook 1.33GHz, 512 RAM,

Hey everyone -

This is my situation: I tried to update my girlfriend's OS Tiger via the software update option to 10.4.11. While it was updating, about 50 megs finished, her computer froze. So, I left it there for close to an hour hoping it would restart. It didn't. I manually shutdown/restarted her laptop, and ever since then, it will not boot. I have Googled this problem - found many lists/threads/forum entries about this, and I have tried everything, but nothing seems to work. What I basically need to know is if this little machine is now nothing more than a big paper weight, or, if it's fixable.

I'm going to list below how I tried to fix the computer, and what happened (in terms of the order listed on the Basic OS X/Mac Troubleshooting FAQ). If anyone can suggest anything else, or just suggest anything at all, I would definitely appreciate it!

1. Reboot - did multiple times, nothing.

2. Clean cache - can't log onto the system - is there another way?

3. Delete the .plist file - can't log onto the system - is there another way?

4. Repair permissions - can't log onto the system - any other way?

5. Run disk repair - The computer is running Tiger, but it orginally came with 10.3.4. She doesn't have a Tiger disc, so I tried to put in the Panther install CD to run Disk Utility. That also doesn't work. I put the install CD #1 in, pressed Cmnd - C on bootup, and the CDROM starts to whirl, but then stalls. The system ends up at a blue screen with only a mouse cursor that doesn't move - nothing else.

6. Reset PRAM - did, but nothing changed.

7. File system check - I did this through the single-user interface. At first, the computer was able to repair the volume (I ran fsck twice to get there), but when I restarted, the computer still didn't boot up. I went back into the single-user interface, and now, the computer will not even repair the volume. I've included some screen shots so that maybe someone will recognize something to that could help...

8. Reset nvram - did, but nothing changed.

I also tried to boot up in safe mode, but got a "panic" error message. I've also included a screen shot of this, plus what it hangs on while it is loading under normal conditions.

I hope some of this helps. My guess is that either the entire system will need to be wiped and reloaded (how can I do this, though, when it will not load the Panther CD - or is this a problem as it's a Panther CD and not Tiger), or the I/O errors seen in the screen shots means a drive failure. Also, don't know if it could help, but I had the wireless/airport card going during the update, so it should still be active/trying to load?

Any ideas, help, I definitely need/appreciate! We don't have any other Macs to work with (I have a Vista laptop), and the only iPod I have is my iPhone - don't think I want to wipe that to try and use it as a way to load a new OS as an external drive.

Thanks!

Screen shot after running "fsck"
Screen shot after fsck.JPG

Screen shot after running safe mode
error message after safe mode boot.JPG

Hangs here during regular boot (got from Cmnd - V)
hangs here 2nd during regular boot.JPG

Hangs here next during regular boot
hangs here 3rd during regular boot.JPG

Finally cycles to eternity here during regular boot
regular boot finally just cycles this forever.jpg
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Suggest you obtain a retail install version of OS X.4 Tiger. The DVD discs are black colored and not the grey specific model discs. Boot from the Tiger DVD holding down 'C' and run Repair Hard Disk from there and see what happens.

If the drive cannot be repaired, be ready to do an erase and install. Do not use Panther Disk Utility on Tiger.
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

I'd also recommend trying the Apple Hardware test, if it's possible. (and if she has it)
http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/aht.html

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Take out RAM sticks one at a time or try them in different configurations.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
am2681

am2681 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12'' G4 iBook 1.33GHz, 512 RAM,

Hey guys - Thanks for the advice. I'm in the process of getting Tiger on DVD for her and I'll take the RAM out and switch it this weekend. Thanks for the help!
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

If you couldn't find or have the Apple Hardware test, you can download and burn it on a cd.
http://www.info.apple.com/support/aht.html

Good Luck!

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« No such file or directory? | Icon gone?? »