nicetype
    System Administrator Password Reset?
    I have a G4 and I'm trying to install some software, but it's asking for the system administrator password or phrase. Well, I don't remember it because It automatically logs me in everytime. I tried the advice in the Mac help, but it's a dead end. Is there anyway I can do this with a keyboard command or working my around by creating another user account? Please, if someone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    If you are the only user of the system, then your admin pass word is your pass word. Since you don't remember the pass word, creating a new user would not resolve the problem. I believe that you need the pass word to create the new user account.

Just change the admin pass word, by booting your system off the OS X install CD. Once you get the install program up and running. Look at the install menu, there should be a reset pass word option. there is where you reset the pass word to your system admin account.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

iSheep
    If it logs you in for you, why not just change your password in the Accounts preferences?

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    I think you need the old pass word in order to change it.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Specs:
    3.4 Ghz i7 27 in iMac (2012), 3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone 6+
    Yes, you do. It's times like this when setting up the root account comes in real handy. You can avoid having to boot from the CD, but you have to remember the root password too.....

Thread Information