Reinstalling Safari on OS X 10.5.2
    My daughter somehow deleted Safari from her iBook G4 running OS X 10.5.2. She has Firefox but wants Safari back.

I have tried to download and install an old version of Safari but in the installation process it tells me it can't install that. It appears that's because I've got OS X 10.5.2 which is supposed to already have Safari.

I have tried to download Safari 3 that's supposedly "for Windows and Mac" but it starts downloading a .exe.

Help! How can I get Safari on her system?

Most appreciated,
    Chrs

Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    If you have your 10.5 Install disc, it's on there. You can easily load if from there and I don't think you even have to boot from the DVD. It's in a folder called "Optional Install", open it and run the Installer, Safari is one of the things you can install.

Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    You could add it from the original Leopard disk, but alternatively go to webkit.org and download the the original Webkit. OS X recognises it as Safari anyway and the features are the same.

You should not need to 'install' Safari anyway, just drag it into the applications folder.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
    - Joan D. Vinge

Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
    You should not need to 'install' Safari anyway, just drag it into the applications folder.

Actually, you do need to run the installer and choose Safari from the list. It's not a drag and drop deal from the DVD. I've done it a few times.

First - thanks SO much to everyone. I just joined this forum and it is truly fantastic to get immediate responses.

Second, I'd tried reinstalling from the OS DVD but it didn't work. I selected "optional installs" and only select Safari. It takes me through the installer. Says it will take 59.2MB. Goes through the install and says it's successful. In the applications folder the only Safari I see says it's 3.2MB and the icon has a ruler, pencil and brush. Argh!

Suggestions? And again, thanks SO much.

Chris

Thread Information