New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Reinstalling Safari on OS X 10.5.2

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tager Group

Tager Group is on a distinguished road

My daughter somehow deleted Safari from her iBook G4 running OS X 10.5.2. She has Firefox but wants Safari back.

I have tried to download and install an old version of Safari but in the installation process it tells me it can't install that. It appears that's because I've got OS X 10.5.2 which is supposed to already have Safari.

I have tried to download Safari 3 that's supposedly "for Windows and Mac" but it starts downloading a .exe.

Help! How can I get Safari on her system?

Most appreciated,
Chrs
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

If you have your 10.5 Install disc, it's on there. You can easily load if from there and I don't think you even have to boot from the DVD. It's in a folder called "Optional Install", open it and run the Installer, Safari is one of the things you can install.

QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

You could add it from the original Leopard disk, but alternatively go to webkit.org and download the the original Webkit. OS X recognises it as Safari anyway and the features are the same.

You should not need to 'install' Safari anyway, just drag it into the applications folder.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
You should not need to 'install' Safari anyway, just drag it into the applications folder.

Actually, you do need to run the installer and choose Safari from the list. It's not a drag and drop deal from the DVD. I've done it a few times.

QUOTE Thanks
Tager Group

Tager Group is on a distinguished road

First - thanks SO much to everyone. I just joined this forum and it is truly fantastic to get immediate responses.

Second, I'd tried reinstalling from the OS DVD but it didn't work. I selected "optional installs" and only select Safari. It takes me through the installer. Says it will take 59.2MB. Goes through the install and says it's successful. In the applications folder the only Safari I see says it's 3.2MB and the icon has a ruler, pencil and brush. Argh!

Suggestions? And again, thanks SO much.

Chris
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Recover CD Key | g4+ leopard = :D ? »