New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Running slow after permissions repair

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dwainio

dwainio is on a distinguished road

OK, my new (6 month old) macbook pro has recently started to run really slow. I have cleared my caches. Didn't help.

Now, I run verify disk permissions and then repaired some faults. This morning I did the same and the laptop found the same problems. Why is this?

I am new to macs so would appreciate any tips to help get my mac back up to speed.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
BlackCivic

BlackCivic is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" white 2.16Ghz, 2Gb ram, 120gb hd

what problems did it find and were those problems resolved?
QUOTE Thanks
dwainio

Loads of issues, mainly library links.
Was curious after restart and when I checked the permissions again the same problems came up.
Also my start up tone has stopped working, I miss it!
QUOTE Thanks
chopcraft

chopcraft is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 600MHz CPU, 16MB VRAM, 384MB RAM, 100MHz Bus, OS 10.4.11.

1st and least importantly the startup chime volume is governed by the main system volume, so if you lower the volume or mute the computer before you shut it down, when it starts up again the startup chime will be quiet or silent.

As for permissions, there are two buttons. The one that says "Verify Permissions" will do just that, it will check for corrupt or bad permissions, but it will not fix them. This is for debugging purposes. I myself will likely never need to do that, although I've heard of special instances with applications causing bad permissions, and using the "Verify Permissions" button can help.
However, the button below it titled "Repair Permissions" will check for bad permissions and repair them. So that might be why the same permissions are still bad.
Otherwise I'm afraid I can't help much, except to suggest you run the "Verify Permissions" and copy what the results are so you can post them here for people to scrutinize. They might find something they are familiar with.

Also, just a note, there is a way to ensure the startup chime is always at a specified level, regardless of the user-defined system volume. Herehttp://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~arcana/S.../index.en.html
is a preference pane to do this. I use it.
QUOTE Thanks
dwainio

Chime has miraculously come back now, but the volume is always on full as I control it via external speakers. How weird.

My computer seems to be a little faster now. Thanks for the link and thanks for your help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Big Dock Problem | iLife 08 and Leopard? »