ActiveX Control issue with remote computer
    Hi all. I got my first Mac a few months ago (iMac 20") and I absolutely love it! I have a question, and I just discovered this site, so I thought I would throw this out there.

I work for a small company, and all the computers at work run Windows XP. We are now set up to work from our home computers remotely, so when at the home computer, we can get into the company's server through IE. When I tried this on my iMac last night, I discovered that I need ActiveX Control. Is there no way to get this on my iMac? (I searched this issue here, and the consensus seemed to be no, but some of these threads were pretty old). If not, what are my options for working remotely from home? I am a little familiar with Boot Camp and Parallels. If I do this, doesn't that make my iMac susceptible to Windows related bugs/crashes??? Thanks in advance!

Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    Unfortunately, there is no way to get an ActiveX control to run on Mac OS X. Windows is a requirement. This leaves you with the options you mention (Boot Camp, Parallels) or perhaps VMWare Fusion, which gets excellent reviews.

When running Windows on your Mac, you are running a Windows computer, albeit a pretty snazzy one. You are as susceptible to Windows related crashes and issues as any other Windows computer. However, pretty much no matter what goes wrong, it will be confined to the Windows environment on the machine, and will not and cannot corrupt the Mac OS X environment.
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

Specs:
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    What protocol are you using to access the remote computer? There are Mac OS X clients for Windows RDP and Citrix that do not require ActiveX.

My company is using Remote Web Workplace from Windows Small Business Server. Do you have any recommendations for good "cross platform" protocols that I can recommend to my IT person at work? We would obviously want something with at least as much security as what we are using now.

Specs:
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    Have your IT person look at this:
    http://www.smallbizserver.net/Articl...0/Default.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by technologist View Post
    Thanks. I have passed this along to our IT person. I will let you know how it turns out. I appreciate your help!

Quote Originally Posted by technologist View Post

Our IT person thinks that going this route would be opening up another whole in our server's firewall. Not sure if this is true, but my company would prefer if I went the Parallels/VMWare Fusion route. Again, thanks for your help.

Thread Information