New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

PowerBook - Recovery

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jameslerouge

jameslerouge is on a distinguished road

I have searched the forums before putting this problem to light.
Today i turned on my powerbook, all my settings throughout have returned to how you would a a mac when you first take it out the box and set it up.
All my cookies are lost, all programs are acting as if i am using them for the first time etc.
I wanted to know is there anywhere i can go to restore the computer to an earlier state, i know this feature appeared in windows. ALl i know is i had a problem with trying to delete skype from my machine, and did delete a file to do with that late last night, and then deleted the trash folder, the computer remained as normal, but today i turned it on, and it is reset.
IF anyone knows about what could cause this problem, or how i can prevent it happening again, i would be most grateful, i have not really lost anything major, but all the settings, and my many internet bookmarks and preferences are all gone...
Any help would be very much apprecaited.
Regards
Jameslerouge
QUOTE Thanks
jameslerouge

I think this is probably a really simple problem to rectify for someone who knows. I was messing around the slidebar last night too, and i think i may have changed the name of my account, basically all the information and i want is now in a new folder, and when i now log in to my mac, it seems to treat me as a new user, even though i have made no new accounts. Does anyone know anything that could have somehow caused my mac to now behave as if i am a new user, i have lost all my settings and templates, and it is driving me mad.
QUOTE Thanks
jameslerouge

i now realise using a google search rather than the search on here, this matter has been covered many times. I do believe i may well have changed my user name, and now attempting to follow steps given have now managed to revert my settings again, so todays progress has now been reset.
Basically i am not sure what the original name was for my account on the slide bar, and i am now so confused i just want to reset it back to how it was, and i know this is a very simple thing for someone who knows, if anyone can give an explanation for dummies, i would be most grateful. I have had this machine for over 3 years, god knows why i decided to change a name last night, and why oh why is it so simple to do, and then causes a day of misery?
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

There's plenty of that same discussion in here. Think you didn't use the correct search query.

Here's two of them:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95853&highlight=change+home+accou nt

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87144&highlight=lost+settings
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 10.5.2: blue screen, grey screen, and then nothing... No boot possible. | Time Machine + FileVault + ??? »