ldj
    Emptying Trash can problem...
    Hi, im new to mac and im having difficulties emptying the trash can. I installed the windows media player and now i erased it, though when i try to empty the trash can it says that the file is locked and therefore cannot be deleted. I tried doing Secure Trash Can and it say that file "htm" is being used. Should i just restore my mac? cos this is very ennoying.
    Can someone please help me out. tia.

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    No you, don't have to restore your system. I would give you r the answer to your problem but I have to make a run. I just saw your post. If no one get back to you, before i get back. I'll give you a solution.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Specs:
    Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
    The easiest way (shortcut) to delete a locked file from the trash is to press the option key while selecting "Empty Trash" from the finder menu. The other way is to select the file that is locked then select "Get Info" from the file menu. The window that opens will have a box with "Locked" selected. Just click on it to deselect.

A file being "in use" is different than a file being locked. Restarting your system may free up the "file in use" problem.

Mr.Curlynose1
    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/10481

That is an Applescript that will empty even files that are open or in use. It works very well. If you use it, the trash icon will not change, but once you open the trash, it will be empty and then the icon will change.

ldj
    Well, i restarted my mac and the "in use" problem still occured, i also unticked the "locked" tick and it still didnt delete. Luckily the Force Trashcan script did the thing. Thanks for the help.

BTW, is there some software which cleans up useless files that are not needed? Or there is no such thing on mac?

cory
    yea good question i woud like to know the same thing

cory
    I just installed Studio MX and the Production Suite and that took up lots of my hard drive hahaha Need to clear stuff i dont need

Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
    Quote Originally Posted by immdb
    The easiest way (shortcut) to delete a locked file from the trash is to press the option key while selecting "Empty Trash" from the finder menu. The other way is to select the file that is locked then select "Get Info" from the file menu. The window that opens will have a box with "Locked" selected. Just click on it to deselect.

A file being "in use" is different than a file being locked. Restarting your system may free up the "file in use" problem.
    What does holding option while clicking on empty trash from the finder menu do?

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by ApplejustWorks
    That does a force empty trash (ignore file permissions).
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Specs:
    Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
    Quote Originally Posted by ApplejustWorks
    If you have the option "Show warning before emptying the Trash" selected in the Finder PreferencesÖ

Holding the Option key while empting the trash will bypass any prompts and delete the locked items.

It won't help for "in use" items.

Thread Information