New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Password problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

laurarose

laurarose is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I just bought a macbook recently and I've been having some problems with my Administrator password. When I go to change settings on some applications there is a lock on it. I click on the lock and it tells me to to enter my admin name and password. I do so but it keeps telling me that the name or password is incorrect. So then I decided to reset my password by putting in the install disc etc. and thought this would solve the problem. When i restarted the computer it asked for my (new) name and password so I could log on to my desktop and that worked fine. But then when I went to change settings after clicking on the lock the same 'name or password is incorrect' message comes up.

Any suggestions of what to do would be great. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Create a new user and give it administrative privileges. Then log into that user and try again.

BTW... what apps/changes are you trying to do, if I may ask?
QUOTE Thanks
laurarose

laurarose is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I tried that but it wont work. I go to add a new user and everything is in grey and wont allow me to click on it. Then again the lock is in the bottom left hand corner and it says 'click on the lock to make changes'. I do so and my problem arises again. It asks for the administrators name and password and then when I type them it it says they're wrong.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Is this macbook second hand

have you done any system software upgrades on it
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

you may in the end need to use the leopard disks for a reinstall.

if you cant get the admin password, which sounds like u cant...

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

It sounds to me that you simply don't have administrative privileges. On the Accounts page with the list of users, does it say you are an administrator?
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Excellent observation, life is a beach!

If that is the case, laurarose, check out this Apple Knowledge Base article, Mac OS X 10.5: Administrator user changes to standard.

And welcome to Mac-Forums!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Viewing movies online with an iMac | Question for the Mac Savvy »