New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Operating System "Reset" Itself

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AMG

AMG is on a distinguished road

My Desktop iMac did something I have never seen any other computer to do; The system restored itself. I turned on the computer and everything started up as it would normally. Then however, I noticed that all of my icons on my dock were re-arranged and the software I had installed (Office 04' and CS3) previously had been removed from the dock. After re-docking my icons and cleaning up the others, I noticed that I had lost all files in Bridge (photos). I then went to Safari and the "Home Page" was at the "apple start-up" page.

I experienced nothing abnormal the night before, powered the machine on today, and wham, the system looked like it had on Day 1. The only interesting thing that really baffled me was that my software remained on the computer, but the files were removed and everything reset. Even more strange, the system was fine the night before and "gone" when I opened it up today. How does this happen?
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

Try checking the logs using the Console application in the Utilities folder.
They are time stamped, so may provide some answers.
(definately odd...)

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You renamed your home folder....

To restore it

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
You renamed your home folder....

To restore it

Thanks man! I found the folder, but am still unsure what they mean by "short name" and "renaming the old directory". The reason is that I must have renamed the home directory folder, but if I put "_new" after that, what's the old directory?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The short name is the name of your home folder.

Ex. your old home folder was named "Bob" and you renamed it "Paul"

In the Users folder, highlight the home folder "Paul", then press "enter"...
rename it "Paul_new" and press enter... don't do this until you figure out which is your old folder....

Now highlight the folder named "Bob" (it is possible this folder's name was changed by the system, so you're looking for a folder that is not a current user on the computer and is not the "Shared" folder - you can verify that you have found the correct folder by navigating into the directory and checking to see if this is where your old documents, etc. are located), then press "enter"....
rename it (I am assuming the correct short name would be the new one ...) "Paul" and press enter and reboot.

Hope it's clearer than mud now. That should be correct, have never renamed my home folder though.

QUOTE Thanks
AMG

It should be, but for some reason I am failing! Ok so:

In my "users" folder I have "Bob" as the home icon and "Jane" as the folder icon. "Jane" contains all of the important info that has been "misplaced". I have tried putting both _new on the ends of both, while renaming the opposite with the same name and without the "_new" and it keeps creating another folder that I name the "house icon" under when I log back on. For instance:

When I name "Jane" as the home icon and "Jane_new" which has the important data and restart, I find that the home icon keeps turning back to "Bob" and I now have an extra folder with "Jane" on it. Which leaves me with "Jane_new", "Jane" (One that was created after log out/log in), and "Bob" )which is the home icon).

Ugh.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

It should be add the "_new" to the one that is the current "house" icon.
Rename the folder with all your stuff to the same name as the house icon but without the "_new".

(Well, just tried some experimenting on my system with an extra user account, although I have Leopard.
And the good news is, Leopard will not allow changing the name of your home folder in Finder.
The name can be changed under Accounts in System Preferences in Leopard, and this will correspondingly change the name of the home folder while keeping all your stuff.)

QUOTE Thanks
AMG

Alright, well I hate to keep bothering you bobtomay, but here is what I have:

Under "users" I have the "home icon" as Paul. I also have the "folder icon" (which contains all of my misplaced info" as Bob.

Under "system preferences" and "accounts", I have "Bob" as my account name and "Paul" as my short name. However, I can only change the "account name" via the unlock icon, but can't seem to change the "short name" b/c it is "faded out" (unable to highlight).

Now all the account name changing does is change my login name. An FYI, I had changed something somewhere in this previous to the data loss, so I know we are close.

Thanks again for all the help man. I really do appreciate it!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

I think it should be in "Finder", in the Users folder

It should be add the "_new" to the one that is the current "house" icon.
Rename the folder with all your stuff to the same name as the house icon but without the "_new".

so you would change 'Paul' to 'Paul_new'
and change 'Bob' to 'Paul'
and then reboot

QUOTE Thanks
sandy1999

sandy1999 is on a distinguished road

I have been having this same problem! Its so agrevating because EVERYTHING gets reset---settings, calendar, itunes...all of it! I have probably 3-4 "user folders" now - I still dont really understand the solution...I'm going to continue searching
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cloning to another Mac? | My operating system keeps resetting itself! »