New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

BUG?? Desktop wallpaper & Screen Saver

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

scoopz

scoopz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro with 30" ACD, 3GB RAM, 250GB HDD (more to come), Airport and Btooth EDR

Under OS X 10.3.5 try the following:

1: Open system preferences then Desktop & Screen Saver preferences.
2: Set the screen saver to computer name and close system prefs
3: Ctrl+click on your desktop (or right click) and go to "Change Desktop Wallpaper"

4: What is the result?

When i do that it opens the desktop and screen saver preferences page but as the last section i viewed was the screen saver it defaults to there, NOT the desktop section. It then pops up an open file dialogue box and clicking cancel then messes up the Computer Name screen saver and changes it's icon!

Ideas anyone, am i alone on this one? If so suggestions would be nice, i now can't choose 'computer name' as the screen saver it keeps popping up an open file window. Need to trash some plist somewhere? I've done a restart and that sets it back to normal, repaired all permissions, etc but it still happens every time, but only if the screensaver pane was last opened. If desktop pane was the last one opened there is no prob.

Regards
Scoopz
Scoopz Homepage
QUOTE Thanks
Strider

Strider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopz
When i do that it opens the desktop and screen saver preferences page but as the last section i viewed was the screen saver it defaults to there, NOT the desktop section.
Yea thats normal.
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

I tried it, and yes, it does appear to be a bug. But when I close system prefs and reopen it everything's back to normal. My suggestion: don't change the screensaver to the comp name. Change it to flurries or something more colorful.

A bug in OS X has finally been found, it must be the end of the world!!!
QUOTE Thanks
scoopz

scoopz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro with 30" ACD, 3GB RAM, 250GB HDD (more to come), Airport and Btooth EDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1k
A bug in OS X has finally been found, it must be the end of the world!!!
Well I'm proud that's the second bug i've found in the year I've been an apple user, the other one i posted on here a long time back about Mail App bug but that was resolved in a software update.

I'm off to post a bug report to apple before the sky falls in and the world ends, doubt they'll ever fix that before Tiger is released though. Let's be honest, compared to the problems with other top brand OS's the number and severity of bugs in OS X is minimal.

Been just over a year since i bought my first apple, a second hand cube of a friend. It's servered its purpose well and been upgraded as much as possible so Dual 2.5GHz G5 coming soon :p and i'll never look back (even if i wanted to i wouldn't be able to see though the filthy windows!).

Regards
Scoopz
Scoopz Homepage
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OMG! Check this out! | anyone have answers to my OS X problem??? »