New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - How to stop the use of default .pct image files...???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

angelleye

angelleye is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.53 Core 2 Duo : 4GB

I need to get rid of .pct completely. Specifically, I'm using FileMaker and when I drag n drop an image from a web page into a container field in FM it uses *.pct as the filename instead of holding the actual file format.

Well, I can't do anything with these dumb things. I'm working with a PHP script which pulls pictures from FM, converts/resizes/resamples/renames and then uploads the image to our web server via FTP.

This works fabulous for any image except for .pct because none of the PHP functions (or anything other than OSX for that matter) can work with these .pct files.

Is there some kind of option somewhere that I can set the default image type to use in OSX? Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

If you drag the same image to your desktop what is the image type?

Sounds like a FM thing to me. OS X does not have a default image type.
QUOTE Thanks
angelleye

Anything equivalent to SAVING the file to disk keeps the original file format as expected. The issue here is that when you drag and drop into FM it uses the clipboard to copy/paste the image into the field in FM. I have the same exact problem when I right click on an image in the web browser, select copy, and then paste into FM's container field. It puts the image in there, but as a .pct file.

On Windows it acts the same way except that it uses .bmp, which is what Windows uses for images in its clipboard. So it all makes sense. The problem is .pct can't be used anywhere and .bmp can.

So I need to figure out how why OSX Leopard is still using .pct for it's clipboard contents if it's deprecated..?? Is there any place I can edit options for how the clipboard is used that migth let me change the image type?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

The default clipboard format is PDF. Filemaker must be keeping compatibility, or uses old clipboard code left over from OS 9 classic days

So you cannot force it system wide, since the OS used Quartz and PDF, it is just Filemaker that is converting the clipboard to the old PICT format
QUOTE Thanks
angelleye

that doesn't seem to be the case according to AppleScript...

tell application "Finder"
set x to the clipboard
end tell

Returns:
{picture:«data PICT...lots more of picture data

????
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

FileMaker is still a Carbon application, and it still uses PICT as it's internal image representation.

Unless you can find some add-on for FileMaker that will convert the image for you (and I'm sure there are hundreds, but you may have to pay for them) there's no way around this.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Backup your supplied Leopard restore DVDs to hard disk (bootable) | Blue screen? ApplicationEnhancer.bundle? »