New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Any advice on switching back to Tiger?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Thedspeth

Thedspeth is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G

I posted earlier in the music section about how I want to switch to Tiger because I got this mac to use ProTools and PT doesn't work well with Leopard from what I hear. I got a copy of Tiger (legitimately) and I'm going to switch to it if I don't get lucky with Pro Tools and Leopard (some people have been "lucky")...
This is my first mac and it came pre installed with Leopard which is why I had to obtain a copy of Tiger.

My question is.... Do you mac aficionados have any advice on switching back? What will happen to my iLife '08 which is on the Leopard install disk? I have done a time machine backup and the folder it creates seems pretty straightforward (copy and paste once Tiger is installed).
What are the pitfalls I should look out for? What things from my time machine backup won't work??

I understand that Tiger doesn't have all of the features that 10.5 does (spaces, the quick preview in finder)...
I think you all get the drift.
For the record...

MBP 10.5.1
2.2 C2D
2G RAM
bought 12/07

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

If you plan to roll back, you need to backup all your important files and wipe the drive clean. Don't try to install Tiger over Leopard... yer just asking for trouble. And forget about the Time Machine backups... you don't want to restore Leopard-based Library items onto a Tiger install. Once you have Tiger installed, just copy over your important documents, music, videos, etc back over from your backup. Plan on installing all 3rd party apps from scratch.

If the version of iLife '08 that you have on the Leopard DVD is compatible with Tiger, then you may be able to get it off the DVD using Pacifist.
QUOTE Thanks
Thedspeth

Thedspeth is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G

Thanks for the words of wisdom!
QUOTE Thanks
powermacj7

powermacj7 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Duo White

I rollback from Leopard on my PB G4, and the advice is important. Do an erase and install of Tiger, Leopard will leave some files & apps that won't work with Tiger. In my situation, I purchased more memory for my PB, and went right back to Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to install Tiger 10.4 | Address Book: adding tax id. number to a contact »