New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - OS X 10.5 Leopard - Installation error message "No software to install"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

treaders

treaders is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I am trying to upgrade my Intel iMac (Early 2006) from OS X 10.4.11 to Leopard OS X 10.5.

I insert the Leopard DVD and installation begins after restarting. The DVD consistency check runs fine but as soon as installation commences a yellow exclamation mark appears on the screen and informs me that installation could not complete as there is "no software to install".

- I have checked the DVD for scratches: No scratches.
- I have changed the RAM: Error messages occur regardless of the RAM configuration. (I have 2 x 1Gb RAM memory sticks installed, from Kingston memory). I went back to the original iMac RAM installed (2 x 512Mb RAM sticks) and the same error message appears.
- Checked software update under the Apple icon on my iMac and all the OS X 10.4.11 software is current.
- OS X 10.5 Leopard DVD purchased from Amazon.

I restart the iMac using the Startup disk and return to OS X 10.4.11.

Any hints on how to get the Leopard installation to work?

Thanks,
Ben
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...00603010428408
See if this helps. ?

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Can you do a clean install by backing up the HDD and erasing? Leopard does seem to have any number of problems handling upgrade. May well be as it is a completely different cat to Tiger.
QUOTE Thanks
treaders

Could do a complete erase and install but really do not want to do this.
QUOTE Thanks
treaders

I just ran the Disk Utility that appears in the OS X 10.5 installation DVD menu. I verified Permissions and performed a Repair Disk. Still no luck.
QUOTE Thanks
treaders

Success!

I moved 21Gb of stored files from the hard drive I was trying to install Leopard on. Went from 29Gb of free space to 50Gb.

For some reason the OS X 10.5 Leopard installation process liked this and Leopard installed.

I thought only 9Gb of free space was required to install Leopard?

Anyway, it worked.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Finder opens 200 folders when i boot up..!? | New Macbook Pro, use Time Machine to Switch Over? »